News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle Pinion Seal

Started by John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased., September 12, 2008, 08:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeRoy DeVol

I own a 1947 Cadillac and had the same problem. After removing the drive shaft flange, i drove the seal forward out of the cone toward the pinion bearing, then i took a small bearing puller and reversed the puller arms so they were to the outside. i inserted the puller to the inside of the cone And was able to pull it out with no problem. I purchased a seal (3/8" thick) & installed it in the cone. Everybody is talking about installing 2 seals to replace the original seal, but i used only 1 and that was 6 years ago & 25,000 miles with no leaks. The only problem i had was the puller i used was a little to big and i had to grind down the ends to be able to pull the cone. I believe the 2 seal idea was also good as they are very cheap. The main reason for installing 2 seals is that there may be excessive wear on the drive shaft flange & with 2 seals they will seat at different locations which will seal better.

Lee DeVol

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello Scott. Is that a " National " part # ? John Lehman CLC # 26365...

Mike Simmons 938

John- That is the Victor number for 38 and 39; the 1937 number is 49233.
mike Simmons

dirkdaddy

Quote from: Mike Simmons 938 on October 15, 2012, 08:25:05 PM
John- That is the Victor number for 38 and 39; the 1937 number is 49233.
mike Simmons

What I got from a supplier is:

DICHTOMATIK
TCM
OIL SEAL
PART NO 152537TA-BX

Others probably work too, but that is what the guy sold me and it working so far. Only I can't drive the car more as its overheating and now I have the heads off cleaning out the cooling passages and waiting on my headgasket.
Scott Philbrook
Houston tx