News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removal of 346 engine

Started by vicbrincat, December 14, 2007, 09:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

I am planning to remove the engine and transmission from my '48 Series 62 but unsure where I should bolt the chains for the engine hoist.
I've removed engines before from Cadillacs such the 331, 365, and 390s  but they had a convenient spot on the block to attach the chains.
What would be a safe spot to hook up the chains to the flathead?
Can I use the front and back  head bolts..or am I asking for trouble?
Experienced advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Vic Brincat

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Vic Brincat, CLC# 15907 on December 14, 2007, 09:33:23 AM
I am planning to remove the engine and transmission from my '48 Series 62 but unsure where I should bolt the chains for the engine hoist.
I've removed engines before from Cadillacs such the 331, 365, and 390s  but they had a convenient spot on the block to attach the chains.
What would be a safe spot to hook up the chains to the flathead?
Can I use the front and back  head bolts..or am I asking for trouble?
Experienced advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Vic Brincat

12-14-07
VIC, ihave removed and reinstalled a 346 . It has been a few years, If memory serves me right, I used the head bolts. Just be sure that there is four threads used to tighten the chain ends. The bolts holding the hose outlet manifolds are a llittle longer then the regular bolts, use these with washers,if nessary. Just don't try to "run the bolts in without doing it by hand first. Woulds also advise, replace all head bolts with # 8 bolts.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Bullitt1

Vic:
   I have always used an engine lift plate. Bolts down to the intake manifold where the carburetor would sit. These lift plates are generally available at most parts houses, Napa, Carquest, Shucks ect. With good fasteners they will support the engine and trans together. I do a lot of assembly work on Superformance Cobra's and Shelby CSX Cobras ect. and during installation the engine and trans are installed as one unit, and a lift plate supports both with no problems. Hope this helps.

Vernon
Vernon

Jeff Kay CLC#7630

I remove the carb and run a thick chain under the intake manifoldf (wrap the chain in a couple of rags to prevent slipping).  I attach the chain to the engine hoist and lift.  It is a secure lift point and the engine is balanced/level as it is lifted up.  Plus sometimes headbolts get rusty/worn over time and may not be the secure point to lift from.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff