News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New member-just picked up a 46

Started by Jim Thompson, March 12, 2008, 03:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Mcilwraith

Great looking car,but-looks like a 1947 crest and vee on the hood.

35-709

Looking at pictures of the '46 in the Cadillac Database and of a '47 online, the crest and vee look the same for both years.
:)

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Jack Mcilwraith on March 13, 2008, 06:02:52 PM
Great looking car,but-looks like a 1947 crest and vee on the hood.
03-13-08
TO THE YOUNGER FOLKS OUT THERE.
Not being in the Cadillac league back then But, Judging from other makes useing just about everthing they could get by with,the logo and V are 1946. My older Brother Got the first Ford FORDOOR sedan (fordoor,a word coined by FORD) and I remember that he had to pay extra for hub-caps. His came with chrome bumpers. Later, late 1946 or early 1947 is when the car makers were short on chrome.  I found-out later that the KAISER-and-FRAZER (which was built from about 1947 until about 1952-53) before they gave up the ghost. I was told or read later that the K-F cars has the best cloth upholsiery  of any car. Reason being, the big 3 had all of the upholistery manufactory tied-up by contracts.
Almost forget that the K-F cars were upholistered with SUIT MATERIAL, (worsted wool)
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: homeonprunehill on March 13, 2008, 10:40:02 PM
TO THE YOUNGER FOLKS OUT THERE.
.... I was told or read later that the K-F cars has the best cloth upholsiery  of any car. Reason being, the big 3 had all of the upholistery manufactory tied-up by contracts.    Almost forget that the K-F cars were upholistered with SUIT MATERIAL, (worsted wool)   Good Luck,JIM   
G'day Jim,

That is good to know.

Maybe the reason that all the GM cars assembled here in Australia were trimmed in Leather.    Right up into the late '50's

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jack Mcilwraith

Geoff-take a closer look.Note the "banded " piece at the lowest point of the crest. Only happened in 1947. The vee is also undercut to leave room for this extra piece. Even though the vees look the same they cannot be used between the years.

Jim Thompson

Very interesting on the V script. I rechecked all of my info, title, inspection receipts and everything is 46 model year. Data plate reads 46-6109 and the internet sources I have read say 46 was the first year for that crest and V badge. Is there anything I might be missing?
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Jim Thompson

Maybe the crest fell off years ago and was replaced by a 47? I double checked front and rear crest and the rear does not have that fill in hash chrome between the crest and the V. You guys have good eyes  ;D.

35-709

Quote from: Jack Mcilwraith on March 14, 2008, 08:59:15 AM
Geoff-take a closer look.Note the "banded " piece at the lowest point of the crest. Only happened in 1947. The vee is also undercut to leave room for this extra piece. Even though the vees look the same they cannot be used between the years.

AH!  Thank you, Jack.
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

wm link

I 'wood'  think that a car with a wooden bumper....wood'n run!  ;D  Great looking car!  
Quote from: Jim Thompson on March 12, 2008, 03:25:59 PM
Hello all, really great site! I just picked up a 1946 model 61 and really love the car. Looking forward to all I can learn from the site. Here is a quick rear shot of the car:

Jim Thompson

Ok, have re-checked everything, all papers, vin number etc... and she is definately a 46. So, I will assume that the crest on the hood was lost at some time and replaced with a 47 crest. Now begins the search for a 46 hood crest  ;D.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Probably the easiest way to tell a '46 from a '47 is the lettering on the front fenders: Cadillac is in block letter on the '46 models and in script on the '47's.

Jim Thompson

Drove her to one of our local cruise-ins last night and was almost mobbed! The car drew way more attention than I would have ever imagined. Tried to leave 3 times but people kept asking to look at it. One guy was even filming the car with his video cam. pretty wild.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Jim Thompson on March 16, 2008, 01:46:29 PM
Drove her to one of our local cruise-ins last night and was almost mobbed! The car drew way more attention than I would have ever imagined. Tried to leave 3 times but people kept asking to look at it. One guy was even filming the car with his video cam. pretty wild.
03-16-08
Jim, Macks a person feel proad! Doesn't it?
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES