News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rattle from waterpump, fan, pulley in a 47conv.

Started by Robert CLC #20619, April 23, 2008, 06:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert CLC #20619

I have noticed a rattle in either the waterpump, fan, pulley etc. of a 47 conv. It occurs at idle and cleans up with increased rpms. I can not detected any play in fan blades, pump etc. Pulleys and shaft were fully greased. Belts are tight. The rattle just started after running the car for a wihile. Any ideas?

Thanks
Robert
Robert

1975 Eldo Conv
1968 Deville Conv
1966 Eldo Conv
1947 62 Conv
1947 Buick Roadmaster Conv

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Robert,

Could it be that the Impeller has come loose inside the pump, or is the crankshaft pulley loose?

Is the rattle a "Tinny" or "Hollow" sound or how would you describe it?

If you don't have an Automotive Stethascope, use a 6 foot piece of Garden Hose and whilst holding one end up into your good ear, move the other end closely around the area where you think the noise is coming from.   MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T GET THE HOSE CAUGHT UP IN THE ROTATING AREAS LIKE THE FAN.   You will gear lots of different sounds, like listening intently to an Orchestra, and the noise should show up.

Another method is to use a long plastic handled Screw Driver, ans use it in the same way as the hose, but this method means that you have a hard piece, and your head, very close to dangerously moving bits.   You will be surprised just what things actually sound like and will be listening to everything from now on.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

In addition to what Bruce said about using the hose, remove the oil dip stick and put the hose about 3 inches down the dip stick tube. What are you hearing? Hopefully not an amplification of the noise you hear from the front of the car. Also you can remove the fan belt and if the noise goes away then probably the noise is caused by a bad pulley fan hub bearing which is an easy fix. Have you greased the water pump? If not use a hand held pump and at the first sign of back pressure as you pump, STOP pumping as this indicates it does not need more grease. Any more pumping and you can blow by the seal and you get a leak.  Have fun

Don Boshara #594

Recently had a noise on my ‘40 in the same location. Tried a mechanic's stethescope and still couldn’t pin it down for sure. Then tried a length of garden hose and it turned out to be a generator bearing.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Robert CLC #20619

I finally got a chance today to work on the car. Using the long handle screw driver method I have ruled out the water pump, generator. The only thing might be the fan pulley but I did not remove the belt. The noise sounds like a rattle but not hollow. It sounds like a squirrel running on wheel and seems to come from the fan pulley area. I will remove the belt tomorrow but if it is the bearing what is the fix?

Thanks

Robert
Robert

1975 Eldo Conv
1968 Deville Conv
1966 Eldo Conv
1947 62 Conv
1947 Buick Roadmaster Conv

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Robert: The fix is replace the fan pulley bearing. Coopers list them in their catalog as fan idler bearing with shaft at $30. It will be necessary to remove the belt and lift out the fan hub assembly. Remove the fan from the pulley hub and then the pulley. That will leave the cast iron fork with the bearing/ shaft with the retainer ring on the shaft. It will be necessary to take this to a machine shop to press off the retainer ring from the shaft and then press out the old bearing from the cast iron fork. Word of caution. On the top of the cast iron fork assembly you will see what appearers to be wire going down in the cast iron assembly. This wire pin slides down inside the casting and past the outside middle of the bearing and acts as a safety catch for that bearing.The bearing has a grove cut around the outside of the bearing to accept the wire pin. I think this was over kill but soak that wire pin with plenty of 10/40 before trying to remove. Pull straight up on the wire. DO Not twist as you turn as this will snap the wire and then it becomes a little more difficult to press out the bearing.