News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

54 Caddy, no dash lights.

Started by Dino, May 20, 2008, 06:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Hi All.
Unless there is a fuse that I don't know about I figure I have a bad rheostat in the headlight switch.
Has anyone out there had the pleasure recently of removing a headlight switch in a 54 Caddy?  Is there a trick to it that would make it easier than it seems or do I have to try and get my fat little fingers up behind the dash?  Thought I would ask before I start taking thinks apart.

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Dino ,  I have a 1957 and it was a bad rheostat. On a 1957, the dash pad has to come off to get to the light switch . After removeing the dash pad and the wires from the switch , there is a little button that is spring loaded that you have to push to remove the pull out knob that is attached to the rod that controls the light switch  I had to put a little jumper wire on the rheostat until was was able to locate a rheostat in good condition .  with a little jumper wire the dash lights workes but you can not control the brightness . Good Luck  Bill
Quote from: Dino on May 20, 2008, 06:42:50 PM
Hi All.
Unless there is a fuse that I don't know about I figure I have a bad rheostat in the headlight switch.
Has anyone out there had the pleasure recently of removing a headlight switch in a 54 Caddy?  Is there a trick to it that would make it easier than it seems or do I have to try and get my fat little fingers up behind the dash?  Thought I would ask before I start taking thinks apart.
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Joe Tartaglia

I have a 56 and need to remove the switch to repair the rheostst.  Can you offer any advice on how to remove the dash pad.  Thanks for the idea to use a jumper wire.  I cannot find a new switch and it is OK with me if I cannot dim the lights as i never do so.

Regards -

Joe Tartaglia

J. Gomez

Joe,

To gain access to the 1956 CDV light switch there are two way, one as Bill stated by removing the dash pad, the other is by removing the instrument cluster. Either way you will have to remove several pieces for either of them to be removed safely.

I found by removing the dash pad you have to deal with the windshield trimming, and if yours have the Autronic eye it also may need to disconnect, etc, etc. If you take the second option by removing the instrument cluster it also has several challenges such removing the steering column bracket, removed two small bolts on each of the “heat” and “defrost” control levers that are attached to the instrument cluster, et, etc.

The shop manual will be your best friend if you take this challenge, good luck.

Regards,

Jose Gomez CLC #23082
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Johnny

I had a '54 Fleetwood, that I had to replace the speedometer cable, and as I remember removing the dash pad wasn't that difficult.  It was just a matter of removing the visible screws then jiggling the pad off.  Once you do this I think you will have access to the entire internal workings everything behind the dashboard.  Good Luck.

paul k.

What about procuring a rheostat?

??? My caddy has the same problem, but I'm talking about a 1959 model. Where and how would I find a replacement rheostat? Is there a particular supplier? Cuz there sure isn't anything available on ebay, and I don't know the local cadillac club.

Suggestions?

35-709

Concerning the '59 headlight switch -----

If you could even find just the rheostat you might find it tricky/difficult (or worse) to install.  When the rheostat goes bad the usual fix is to replace the switch.  Maybe someone repairs them "in situ".

There are no '59/'60 headlight switches I can find on eBay right now either but they do come up there quite regularly.

Having said all that, I have a 1960 headlight switch that I have disassembled, cleaned the contacts inside and lubed, reassembled and tested (working rheostat of course) that I will sell for $30 plus shipping.  Believe you will find the switch the same as your '59.  If you are interested, you may respond here or contact me at gnewc@bellsouth.net
:) 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2