News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

A 56 series 62 paint question

Started by Ron Draper, October 22, 2008, 12:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Draper

hi,

I have a 56 series 62 that is painted two tone pale light green (top and above the chrome) and Elvis pink below the chrome.

Since the paint is faded I have not included a picture but was that a factory color combination or a dealer added option (paint code 30 is the only number but ??????).

The questions are:

1) is that a color combination that really goes together? (Would a woman like them?)
2) would it be better to go back to the original paint?

Thanks for your comments.

Ron

Otto Skorzeny

Paint code 30 is Duchess Green. If that's the only code on your tag, the whole car was painted that color with no two tone.

Duchess Green  and any shade of pink was never a factory approved combo. People were allowed to spec there own combos, though Cadillac specifically warned salesmen that "some [combinations] would result in color schemes of poor taste and should be avoided."

If your car was painted those colors originally for a special order, the trim code on the tag would reflect this.

When you say 'above the chrome" what do you mean? ALL two tone combinations were as follows:
Upper = roof and small area on doors just below the windows. This area is separated from the body by a thin strip of chrome.
Lower = entire body. Hood, trunk, fenders, quarters, etc.

What upholstery code is on your car?

It would definitely be better in my opinion to return the car to it's original paint scheme or at least to a color combination less atrocious than green and pink.

Although many people like to look at pink Cadillacs and there is somewhat of a Wow! factor to a pink car, when it comes time to sell one the color usually becomes an impediment. This goes for other makes and models with pink combinations as well.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Otto Skorzeny

As an addendum:

The only factory approved color combinations with Duchess Green as the upper color have Princess Green (32) and Arlington Green (36) as the lower color.

The only factory approved color combinations with Duchess Green as the lower color have the same two shades of green as choices for the upper color.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

quadfins

And Elvis Pink (AKA Barbie Pink, or Pepto-Bismol Pink) was never a factory offering. Mountain Laurel was a much more subtle (and attractive) pink, but I don’t know if it was available in ’56.

Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: quadfins on October 23, 2008, 07:33:57 AM
Mountain Laurel was a much more subtle (and attractive) pink, but I don’t know if it was available in ’56.

Yes, it was!

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Walter Youshock

Mountain Laurel was factory-offered for '56 and '57 and was used on the interior and exterior.  Almost the same exact color was used on '58 Oldsmobiles called "Desert Glow".

Mountain Laurel sort of evolved into Mary Kay pink and is still on the books as an active color.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ron Draper

Thanks for the info - did some scraping and it was painted pink over the green.

Ron