News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Gold Sabre wheels Kelsey Hayes #39796 on a 1957 Cadillac

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, October 16, 2008, 08:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Yaros

I may be misreading all this, but I do not believe that "Cadillac used spacers" at all.  The spacers were/are used by individuals in trying to install non-OEM wheels on their rides, as I understand it.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

J Kjerrulf

Dave!
Please check the link to the modified chapter from my previous post.
I notice I wrote the 50's but even though the factory spacer fits a 1957 cad it was actually produced in the 60's. Of course not intended for this use but nevertheless it would do the job.

For the record I think my 57 handles a lot better with spacers up front during the winter season. IMHO the extra inch also puts the wheel in a better position in the wheel well, less of that touch of "Nash-feeling".
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

Bill Balkie 24172

i copied this from an article on the internet , this should clear it up
[Sabre wheels were standard on Eldorados from 1955 to 1958 and optional on other models. These are not wheel covers, but actual wheels/rims. In my understanding sabre wheel are the successor for the spoke wheel rims that were used on eldos before 1955. Today they are highly desired amoung Cadillac collectors. They allow to add dignity to your classic cadillac (1955 to 1958) without to losing authenticity even if it’s not an eldo.
But watch out to buy the correct sabre wheels for your modell year. Read on for further information that lists the differences amount the production years.
GOLD # 38â€"-1955
GOLD # 39â€"-1956
CHROME # 40â€"-1957
CHROME # 41â€"-1958

1955 model year:

Kelsey Hayes 38612 “split rim” design â€" Chrome only.

Requires a spacer & longer studs for 1957-58 front wheels.

1956 model year:

Kelsey Hayes 39786 â€" 39787 â€" 39796 “clad rim” design. (wheel manufacturing process modified)
2 VERSIONS: Chrome (Cadillac Part Number 146 3918 AND Gold (Cadillac Part Number 146 5348).

Requires a spacer if used on 1957-58 front wheels.

1957-58 model years:

Kelsey Hayes 41098 “clad rim” design (slight wheel offset change required for larger 12″ front drums)

Chrome only (Cadillac Part Number 146 6798).

quote author=J Kjerrulf link=topic=103244.msg185702#msg185702 date=1308220824]
Dave!

[/quote]
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Dan Koser

So.....the first problem I've run into is that the "longer studs" aren't readily available, at least not here in Escondido. I've been referred to ARP to see if I can track them down, but if anyone else has actually done this, where did you get the longer studs?  Regards,   Dan

Paul Tesone

A while back , I spoke to Mike at Valley Wire Wheels in CA ( 818-785-7237 ) who restored chrome sabres for my 57 Biarritz. Great job , by the way . I was interested in putting gold sabres on the car . I asked if he could take a chrome 57 sabre and restore it with gold anodizing rather than chrome. That would eliminate the whole issue of spacers and/or milling down the rim . I don't remember the exact details of the conversation , but I believe he said  that it could be done . I think the only problem was getting the gold color right . I never did follow up on the idea , so I don't know what the final product would look like . I have yet to see a restored gold sabre with the correct gold color . The ones I've seen all have a gold that is too yellow in appearance . You should give Mike a call . Perhaps by now , he has had an opportunity to try a few sets and can advise you as to what  outcome you can expect . Let us know what you find out . I'm still interested in doing it if it's possible . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Dan Koser

Thanks for the tip Paul and I will give Mike a call and report back.  Regards,   Dan

Dan Koser

Quote from: Dan Koser on June 17, 2011, 07:11:05 PM
So.....the first problem I've run into is that the "longer studs" aren't readily available, at least not here in Escondido. I've been referred to ARP to see if I can track them down, but if anyone else has actually done this, where did you get the longer studs?  Regards,   Dan
Here's an update: I found wheel studs that I'm satisfied will work (Dorman Part No. 610-475.1) The knurled shoulder length is just shy of the original, but I'm going with it. I have a shop press, so pressed out the old studs and pressed in the new, longer ones. I'm using 3/8" billet aluminum spacers I got through Summitt (Part No. WSG5L375)...on the front wheels only. After checking, the rears do not appear to need spacers, and this is in line with other postings I've read on the subject. This is as far as I've gotten, as we're still in the wet sanding/buffing/polishing stage of the paint job. Once that's complete, I'll be able to begin the reassembly and try to get the old Gal started. I'll let you know how this goes once I get it tested. Regards,   Dan

Dave CLC#16900

FYI, when I took the rear axle out of a 1968 Cadillac ambulance, it had factory cast iron wheel spacers.  Looks like they moved the wheels out for more space between the wheel wells.
Dave CLC#16900

1956 C 6237SDX ELS
1975 C 6CD47 CDV