News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

76 DeVille Rear Axle ID?

Started by mgbeda, November 05, 2008, 03:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

My '76 Sedan DeVille has had the rear axle replaced.  I'd like to know what year car the axle is from, but I can't find any ID number on the housing.  I have found a small metal tag attached to one of the bolts that has "25" on it, but I was expecting something longer.  Could anyone tell me where I should be looking for a number?  Thanks!

-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
'76 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Warren Rauch

I checked parts books,shop manual,and Serviceman letters. I don't believe they put anything on the rear axle accept a code for gear ratio. Since little was changed from 71-76 it will be difficult to pin it down. The gear ratio number is stamped above the pinion shaft on the casting in the front of the axle .( 3=1:2.93, 5=1:3.15, 8= 1:2.73) The 2.93 ratio was used 71-74, 2.73 ratio 74-76, 3.15 raio 71-76. There was also a change in 76 that reduced the gear lube by a pint on the 2.73 axles.Warren

mgbeda

:) Thanks, Warren.  The axle ratio is what I really need to know; I was thinking the year would be easier to find, and then that'd tell me the ratio.  It also explains why I've found nothing; I've been looking on the axle tubes.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)