News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Update on the latest '78 Eldorado power t top car to re-surface

Started by just4fun, December 10, 2008, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just4fun

We purchased this car back in November and have been busy performing some minor repairs and cleaning the car up after it's long hibernation. This is #7 known to exist and the only Colonial Yellow example. There are a couple rumors out there. 1) That 1 trailer load left ASC with these tops. The trailer load makes good sense since 7 Eldorados would have been the maximum to fit on a car carrier back in the day. 2) That there were a total of 10 or 12 made before Cadillac cancelled the option. Mine has a round blue sticker on the backside of the inside rear view mirror with the number 08 written on it ? I wish I knew the real story.

I got an idea to search for the build sheet last week. No luck, but I did find an envelope and gas receipte under the rear seat bearing the name of a doctor in the Detroit area. I showed it to my son and he told me he'd do a google search. I went for lottery tickets and when I returned he had already talked with the wife of the original owner and that she identified it as the double sunroof car. WOW ! I called her back and we had at least an hour of conversation. Don't know yet if she'll find any documentation or pictures for me, but I'm prayiing here. The car was delivered new at Dreisbach and Son Cadillac in Detroit.

Rich Romanowski

Otto Skorzeny

I don't think that sticker on the mirror means anything. In fact, if you look at it, I think it is an 80 rather than an 08.

You can see where the felt tip pen that was used began and ended the numbers on the paper. Nobody makes circles for zeros and eights starting at the bottom. They start at the top and go counter clockwise.

Also, who writes the number "8" as "08"?  Nobody.

My guess is somebody bought that mirror in a junkyard or on ebay or something and that sticker was put on by the seller. If it had been on since new, it would be melted into place and faded white. No dealer would leave an ugly sticker in such a prominent place when delivering it to the owner.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would agree that the number is an "80" and not an "08".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Davidinhartford

Did the wife confirm the name on the dash plaque?

Rich S

The Bonham Chrysler car offered on e-bay is a different car (and it has the name plate on dash) without power T-Tops; rather it just has manual latch and lift-off roofs. Both cars are triple Colonial Yellow 1978 Biarritz.The car being discussed in this thread has the cool power operated T-Roofs that overlap into the center of the roof. It would be great to see a picture of the roof liner, or how thick the center portion is when the roofs are opened.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Davidinhartford

Quote from: Rich S on December 10, 2008, 10:37:46 PM
The Bonham Chrysler car offered on e-bay is a different car (and it has the name plate on dash) without power T-Tops; rather it just has manual latch and lift-off roofs. Both cars are triple Colonial Yellow 1978 Biarritz.The car being discussed in this thread has the cool power operated T-Roofs that overlap into the center of the roof. It would be great to see a picture of the roof liner, or how thick the center portion is when the roofs are opened.

Oops!   Thanks for clarifying that Rich.    The yellow Biarritz in Texas has such a wide panel between the roof openings that I thought this was indeed the power t-top version.   

just4fun

Here you go Rich. If you are talker, and I'm like 5'-11", you gotta be careful or you'll whack you head. Picture # 1 shows how far these tops drop down as they slide in.
Rich Romanowski

just4fun

And here's a picture of the switches.
Rich Romanowski

Rich S

Very cool!  ;) It was a great, but not so practical, idea--but hey, the convertibles had been discontinued, and we still want open cars! Good luck with that rare classic!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

J

cool car  just wanted to let you know Dreisbach and Son Cadillac in Detroit has been renamed Massey Cadillac. very cool dealership my convertible  also came from there  and my documents also  bearing the name of a doctor in the Detroit area  strange never contacted owner though waiting till its completly finished for that anyway keep sending pics i wish to see it in person some day.  Mrjb

Cadillac got me!!!

Ross DeVore

Here is a pic of a white Eldo with the power t-tops. It was on ebay several years ago(4 plus). Didn't pull the trigger, needed lots of work, not like your judging from your pics. The manual tops for theses cars were from American Hatch Corp. They were basically their Monte Carlo kit. The roof trim doesn't quite line up with the tops. I have a 78 with these in White with Red leather. Love my car. Came with a period CB "Phone", whip antenna, and towing hitch. Has about 25k miles. Enjoy your car and hope it doesn't leak too much!

Ross DeVore

Ross DeVore

Otto Skorzeny

In the advertisement it doesn't look like the center section is wide enough for the tops to slide into. Do they go in in 4 pieces or do they slide over the back seat area?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Davidinhartford

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on December 17, 2008, 05:15:16 PM
In the advertisement it doesn't look like the center section is wide enough for the tops to slide into. Do they go in in 4 pieces or do they slide over the back seat area?

The ad is for the manual type.  The hatches just lift off.

just4fun

Quote from: Ross DeVore on December 17, 2008, 05:05:56 PM
Here is a pic of a white Eldo with the power t-tops. It was on ebay several years ago(4 plus). Didn't pull the trigger, needed lots of work, not like your judging from your pics. The manual tops for theses cars were from American Hatch Corp. They were basically their Monte Carlo kit. The roof trim doesn't quite line up with the tops. I have a 78 with these in White with Red leather. Love my car. Came with a period CB "Phone", whip antenna, and towing hitch. Has about 25k miles. Enjoy your car and hope it doesn't leak too much!

Ross DeVore

Ross,

Thanks for the pic. I think this car belongs to a member here ???
Rich Romanowski