News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

85 Eldorado 4.1 Water Pump Problems

Started by Chad "Classic Chevy One", January 14, 2009, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad "Classic Chevy One"

Hello all, I am new here and have been tasked to repair my folks 85 Eldorado. I have restored many classics mostly in the muscle care arena. Here my problem; I installed new water pump having problems with the tube which crosses from thermostat housing to manifold. Tube had rust in o-ring areas. Wire brushed tube well, then placed a thin bead of silicone on tube areas where o-rings are placed. Installed o-rings then another thin bead of silicone. Installed pump, thermostat housing and cross tube as one assembly. Leak seams to be coming from manifold lower side of cross tube. I am open to any tips or sugestions.
Question’s I have:
1. Can I remove thermostat housing and tube without pulling the pump again???
2. Should I replace the tube with a new one if one is available from the dealer still? 
Tube dose have some pitting but the silicone should have helped this, maybe I should not use the silicone.
3. Should I try to re-clean the tube, seal again and re-install thermostat housing and tube again?
I am a seasoned mechanic and I have to say this pump assembly is one of the poorest engineering I have ever seen! Silicone i am using is red high temp.
Thanks all,

76eldo

The design is a bit baffling.  As far as the order in which to assemble, a shop manual may help.

Contact the HT4100 forum, there are a lot of experts there that can probably help quickly.  Here's the link:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/HT4100exchange/

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Walter Youshock

As I recall, there was a clip that went on the tube and forced the "O" rings to seat.  Without the clip, I doubt it'll seal properly.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chad "Classic Chevy One"

You are correct on the clip with a spring and a washer so that the o-ring is supported and pressed into the thermostat housing too, the manifold end of the tube is flanged to support the o-ring.
Do I or is it best to pull the whole pump, thermostat housing and cross-tube again or can I just unbolt the thermostat housing and cross-tube without desturbing the pump and gasket???

Thanks for your replys, 
CP