News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

79-85 Eldo Suspensions

Started by Bry85, March 14, 2009, 02:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bry85

I'm wanting to restore the original air suspension on my '85 Eldo and was wondering who it was made by?

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bry85

I don't know......
Someone told me it may have been Monroe?

76eldo

Are you talking about getting new air shocks for the rear, or more parts in the system?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bry85

I'd like to restore the original air system in the rear.....electronic leveling and all.

76eldo

The parts consist of the compressor on the inner fender, lines, and the leveling mechanism on the rear axle, and the rear air shocks.

Is the car missing all of that?

A junk yard would be a good place to start looking, and the compressor can be tested with a 12V battery.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I would assume the Seville, Toronado, and Rivera would also be good sources of parts assuming they had the air ride option.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bry85

I'm not sure what all is left of the origianal system.  Right now it has manual adjust air shocks by GoodYear.......where you add/remove air the same way you would in a tire.

TJ Hopland

It depends on what failed in the system in the first place.   Chances are good what ever originally failed was removed to be evaluated and perhaps never put back since they obviously chose not to repair it.  Components were electrically powered air compressor (under hood), electronic control module (could be part of compressor), height sensor (usually mounted to body with a link to the rear axle), and the shocks themselves. 

Sounds like you need a Shop Manual.  I just did a quick search on ebay and there are plenty, a few even under $20!   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bry85

I think most of the original components are still there. I have a feeling the current setup just over rides the original.

Tod- NTCLC

Time to do some testing:

1.  Make sure the compressor is in place - under the hood on the driver's side.  Apply 12 volts - does it run?  Is it plugged into the electrical harness?  Do you see the air line leaving the compressor headed back to the rear of the car?

2.  Get under the rear end of the car - on the passenger side of the rear 'axle', just off the center, you should see a box that has an arm on it - this arm attaches to the body of the frame via a detachable threaded shaft - is it attached?  Is the box plugged into the electrical system?

3.  While under the rear end, find the air line that comes from the compressor - Air lines run from the compressor to the driver's side air shock - is it still there?  It is likely detached from the shocks, and laying off to one side, or strapped to the frame since you have an aftermarket manual fill system installed.

4.  Does the 'Level Control' light on the dashboard work?  If the height control unit on the rear arm is plugged in, and nothing else has been disturbed, then this light should come on when the rear of the car is sitting too far down.  You can either let some air out of the shocks, or remove the detachable shaft and manually move the arm on the control unit.  If everything is plugged in and operating, then moving this arm should illuminate the light on the dash, and cycle the compressor, and you should get air delivered the line at the rear.

5.  Everything works?  Great.  The original Delco shocks had two fittings on the driver's side shock - one to receive air from the compressor, and the other fitting was for the air line that ran over to the passenger shock.  Your aftermarket shocks usually have a single fitting on both the driver's and passenger side.  You can purchase a 'T' fitting to tap into the line that enters the passenger side shock, and connect the air supply from the compressor into this 'T' fitting - that will deliver equal pressure to both shocks.

6.  Adjust your preferred height - you can adjust the height at which the car rides by making adjustments to the arm on the height control unit under the car.  Depending on which style you have, you may have a threaded link that can be turned, or you may have a nut that loosens on the control unit and allows you to adjust the arm position - this will take some trial and error to get the exact height you want.

There are a lot of assumptions here - that all of the components are in place, and more importantly, that they all work.  If the compressor has been idle for a number of years, then there is a good chance that the seals or fittings will leak.  The height control unit is not above failing as well, and you may need new lines etc., but the above is the very basic overview.

Aftermarket shocks (Monroe Air Adjust, Gabriel Hi-Jackers) will work fine on these systems.  The Delcos may still be available, but I didn't get very long life out of the last pair I ordered.  Frankly, about 3 years is all I get out of the replacements, and I have now purchased Lifetime shocks through the large chains (AutoZone sells the Gabriels with Lifetime warranty).  If you are are having to fill the shocks on a regular basis, it is likely you have a seal that is leaking, and replacements will be in your future no matter what - the compressor will struggle to maintain pressure on a leaking shock.

Let us know what you find -