News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Too much blowby

Started by 61 Cad, March 04, 2009, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

61 Cad

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how to install breather valves on valve covers for a 1961 Cadillac with a 390 or if someone made a new set. I installed a cam and noticed I have a lot of blowby ....    Would old oil cause more blowby to be produced?     ???

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

'61,
Blowby is typically caused by combustion gasses  escaping downward past the piston rings and into the crankcase where they "look" for someplase to vent.
Worn or broken piston rings are usually the cause of excessive leakage.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Glen

Stuck rings can also cause blow by.  Short trips and not getting the engine warmed up can cause the rings to carbon up and they stick in the grooves. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

61 cad

thats sounds about right i never drive it but i do start it up so is there anything i can do now?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, don't forget that without driving it, you could end up wiuth severely Glazed Bores.

Just starting an engine and not putting any load on it is the worst thing that anyone can do.   Doesn't do the engine any good whatsoever.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

homeonprunehill

03-06-09
"61 Cad. THE SHORT ANSWER IS NO . old oil will not cause more blow-by then new oill. But you may olook in your favorite
auto patrs store for some magic liquid to add to the oil them next timeyou change it. Good Luck,jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Here's something that may help if the problem is your rings filled with varnish, crud
from neglect.

Change the oil and filter and put in some (about 1/2 quart) Marvel Mystery Oil.  Do not
overfill the oil level.  You can find it at most auto parts stores.

The "Marvel" is a very old product but has a very good solvent for cleaning out crud.  Run
the engine on the road for a few hundred miles at highway speed then drain, change the
oil and put a fresh filter on.  This may clear up the problem.

Lots of more expensive ways to go -- but I'd try this first before tearing the engine down.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

61 Cad

Thanks guys for the advise... I changed the oil over the weekend it did get little better. Can too advanced timing cause more blowby?

Otto Skorzeny

If your timing is too advanced , some of the gasoline might not be burned and could make it's way past the rings. That's not good for lots of reasons.The unspent fuel can also end up in the exhaust system, etc. Set you're timing as close to spec as possible.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only thing that too much advance will cause is Pre-ignition, or Pinking, which will cause internal problems if allowed to continue.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

homeonprunehill

03-09-09
I know for a fact that if the timing is set too low, the engine will run hot. Set too high,  all I have ead is that it will cause hard starting and pre-ignition or spark knock. Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

61 ad

thank you  i will look into my timing

61 Cad

So I found my problem I think its a blown head gasket... I did a compression test and all cylinders and they were around 165-170 pounds and number 5 came out to be 35lbs and my oil has little white haze to it.  Time to take it all apart
  :-\

Can the oil dip stick be removed?

Otto Skorzeny

Yes. The dipstick is normally just pressed into the block. Hopefully it's just the gasket that was damaged and not the deck or the the head itself. After removing the head, check the block with a metal straight edge and look for cracks or pits.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

61 cad

i tried to pull on the tube but it wont budge dont want to remove the manifold its really hard to get the back bolts since i installed new power buster and its much bigger than stock for the disk brakes in the front

'61,
The dipstick tube is installed from the top (outside) of the block, through the hole in the casting and then bent inwards to allow the dipstick to clear the rotating pieces.  You cannot successfully remove the tube without dropping the pan and straightening the tube.
Short of dropping the pan, you probably have a lot of wrench work ahead of you.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

61 cad

thank you i will try to get the head off without removing the oil tube it seems like a lot of work ... does anyone make adapter to install a  different engine and use my stock trans like a 427 or chevy?

'61,
This seems like the "easy" way out, but believe me the work involved and the mediocre results with anything but a Cadillac engine makes pulling a cylinder head look like a walk in the park.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille