News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Paint code conversion - Brougham - Chamonix White

Started by DaveW, April 10, 2009, 01:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveW

I need to paint the instrument panel lower of my 1958 Brougham.  According to the parts book, the instrument panel should be Chamonix white, paint code 120.  This was a light tone lacquer by R-M, L-21-W038.  Chamonix white was also used as an exterior color on the Brougham.  The exterior paint code for Chamonix white is 112.  In the parts book the R-M code for the exterior Chamonix white is L-41-W004 and the Dupont code is 885-90731.

Can anyone provide me with the modern base coat/clear coat color code equivalent for Chamonix white so that I can get close to the original shade of white as painted from the factory?

Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Wayne Womble 12210

According to my 58 Dupont paint books, Chamonix White is code 112, and the Lucite number is 2596L.

Just looking at the chip it looks like a white with a greenish tint.  You are probably not going to find a modern offset color formulation though.

J. Gomez

Dave,

Check this link http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/. They show the  same color option "Chamonix White" under the 1957 Cadillac. You could try entering the information listed under Page 2 in the Paint information section.

Good Luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

DaveW

Wayne, Jose, and Lou,

Thanks for the replies.  You have given me some hints as far as where to start my search.  I do have some areas of the dash that have been hidden from the sunlight, however I have no way of knowing whether a previous owner may have repainted the instrument panel.  The paint on the exposed parts of the I/P has checked and has a mottled appearance.  It also appears to have yellowed.  I expected the unexposed parts of the panel to be a bright white, however they appear to be more of an off white or creamy white.  This has caused me to go slow and do a little more research before I start shooting color on the part.

Your help and comments are much appreciated,
Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Walter Youshock

According to my Duco charts, Chamonix White is: 2596-L.  It was also used as an exclusive exterior color for the Brougham and it does have a very slight greenish tint.

Of note is that, when an interior and exterior color was the same, so was the paint formulation.  The exterior surfaces were wet-sanded and buffed to a high gloss whereas the other surfaces were simply painted and left alone.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Wayne Womble 12210

The Dupont books list it as an exterior color in `57 and the interior color in `58.  The numbers are different, 2596L for exterior, and 82838 for interior, but that might just be the old Duco number. That was exactly the year that they switched to Acrylic Lacquer from nitrocellulose.

David King (kz78hy)

In my parts book, the way I read it is the exterior is Acrylic Lacquer (used on Broughams only, all unique Brougham colors).  The interior parts are different, probably enamel instead of lacquer.  I'm thinking the shade would be the same.

I have interest in this as well as I will need the same paint codes for interior and exterior as my car is  Chamonix White (code 112) and also used in the interior.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Walter Youshock

A little more digging brought up an interior paint code for Chamonix white as:  82838 and Fisher Part # WL-2369.  This is on the back of the DUCO Bulletin 20, sheet 1, issued 02/15/57.

The colors that are used as BOTH interior and exterior colors are marked such.  the Chamonix White swatch is not marked as "and Int.", so there has to be something in that code.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham