News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Cadillac wheel size

Started by jimi, March 20, 2010, 12:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimi

Can anyone tell me if an 8" wide rim will fit my 1966 Sedan De Ville ? 15 X 8 . thanks

Eric S. Maypother #15104

I think I'd stick with the stock size rims, you may be able to get away with an 8" on front but you don't have much room to play with in the rear, how close is tire/rim to fender skirt as it is? Even with out the fender skirt of your still close to upper rear fender lip. Now add 2", plus the rim center may be in a different spot on 66 rims than newer rims, I know if you use 66 rims on 69 up they rub on front caliper. You could always put rim on car and test for clearance front and back and figure tire will be even wider.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Fred Zwicker #23106

I tried one wire wheel on my '66 DeVille convertible and the tires rubbed the inside of the skirts - impossible to fit, even if I ground down the edge of the skirt, which I did not want to do.  Under driving conditions would have been worse.  Also check BOTH sides before making your decision as the spacing can vary from one side to another.  I am not sure of the width of the wire wheel, but think it was 8" (not sure).  Luckily I was dealing with a reputable dealer in CA who sent one wheel for testing before I purchased the complete set and full credit was given upon my return of the wheel without any hassle.  My advice is to stay with the original wheels on your 1966 Cadillac.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Greg McDonnell

I checked the dimensions of a spare set of factory rims I have for my '66 Eldorado.  The width is 7" and the diameter is 16".  My advice is the same as Eric's and Fred's, stick with the stock rims.

Greg McDonnell
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Jerry Chase

I think that Greg meant to write, "15 in." here . . . for '66.   

35-709

They are 15" but if you measure diameter (improperly) from the very edge of the rim you will come up with about 16" which covers the tire's bead by 1 inch.
Geof N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Greg McDonnell

Thanks Geoff for explaining what I did incorrectly regarding my measurements. :D  I was surprised at the 16" measurement as I know the wheels are referred to as 15" wheels.  I was in a hurry when I took the measurements and merely passed on the information to the o.p.  But I have wondered ever since why I came up with a 16" measurement.  Now I know what I did wrong.

Thanks ;D

Greg McDonnell
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

35-709

;D  Now you know how I found that out, quite a long time ago. 
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2