News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Factory records of special order codes?

Started by Dan LeBlanc, April 29, 2009, 11:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

My 61 Fleetwood is marked under trim as SO14260.  I know this is special order but am trying to figure out what the special order could have been.

I read somewhere that 61 FW 60S had a vinyl roof, however, mine is painted white from the factory and the rest is Nautilus blue.  Since the paint codes match the car colours, I'm thinking that's not it as all the pictures I've seen of 61 FW 60S have the roof painted.

Aside from the late 1970's interior redo in blue vinyl/blue velour with a terrible sewn carpet job everything else on the inside looks normal for a 61 FW 60S.  Fog lights, guidematic, and cruise control were added probably at the dealer, as they're not on the accessories list (only E, H, K, Y, and M) are listed.  So, unless it was an upholstery order, I'm not sure what the special order could have been.

Is there a way to get the factory order for this car?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Chris Conklin

Quote from: 61fleetwood on April 29, 2009, 11:58:44 AMIs there a way to get the factory order for this car?

You'll have to get the "as built" from the GM Heritage Center to explain any SO items. Instructions at the link below...

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/authenticate.shtml
Chris Conklin

Walter Youshock

The first vinyl tops were 1963 on the Fleetwoods and coupes.  The '61 and '62 Fleetwoods would have worn them beautifully, though.  Maybe some cars were retrofitted.

The "SO" probably refers to the interior.  What does it look like now? 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

It appears to still have the original patterns (2 1/2" pleats on the seats and door panels), however, it has definitely been redone in vinyl and velour.  ICK!!!  I got some samples from SMS of some original 1961 fabric that was on the 61 Fleetwoods and was thinking of going with that - unless I can find out what was really used and try and match it up.
Dan LeBlanc

Walter Youshock

YIKES!!!  Is the headliner a black velvet painting of Elvis or a matador?!?!

Can you snap a picture of the Body Plate? 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

Fortunately, the headliner is vinyl.  Not the correct material, unfortunately.

Pictures are attached.  The dash is torn apart right now as I took the cruise control apart - hence why I need a new cable and speed selector.  The interior, I'm sure, was tasteful at the time, but, now it's just gawdy!
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

This is the first Caddy I brought back to life.  Not 100% stock, but a nice driver.

I want to be different with the Fleetwood and stay true to original, not a 100 point car, but something I can drive and show, and maybe win a local car show award or something.
Dan LeBlanc

Chris Conklin

The special order for the trim could be as simple as ordering the leather seat option available for the Sixty Special or it could have been almost any other complementary interior available at the time. It would still get the dreaded SO on the tag. Surprising it would have been SO'd, there were ten different interior combinations available for the car to begin with (not including optional leather)! One of those wasn't good enough for 'em?!?

Unfortunately, you need the original built record to ascertain what they really ordered. This would also have record of all the other accessories you listed below. Some of those do not get posted to the cowl tag as they are not trim items, per se. Cruise control, for example, is an equipment option and may not be on the tag (I say "may" cuz ya never know!). If you're extremely lucky you might find a copy of the order left in the innards of the rear seat back or bottom. But since it was re-upholstered, unlikely.

I'm probably just repeating what you already know, sorry. Best of luck to you! Keep us posted.
Chris Conklin

Dan LeBlanc

That's the thing with the cruise and fog lights.  I have an accessories brochure from 1962 and lists cruise, fog lights, guidematic, and rear defogger as available either through the factory or dealer.  The only ones that were factory only were a/c, power locks, and power vents (which were standard on the FW anyway). 
Dan LeBlanc

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

OK all you "experts" out there, why are there staples in his tag? My theory is that there was a piece of paper attached there that told the trim guys what the SO was. This only worked for an interior SO, as an exterior SO would already be done. I have a 68 SO tag that I know what the interior SO was. The tag has the staples & the paper but the part with the writing was ripped off. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Dan LeBlanc

Excellent theory!  I never thought of that!!!
Dan LeBlanc