News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Cadillac engine swap

Started by txlowbrow, May 01, 2009, 10:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Conklin

Check the cover and accompanying story in the Feb. '09 issue of the Self Starter. I would have a much tougher time deciding to modify a '41 Series 62 Convertible than a '55...? and yours "txlowbrow" is a '55 what? (not to be a PITA, but put your name somewhere in your posts please) I'm sure the ponies and torque helped in your decision as well as the bargain of swapping. Any plans to "update" other components... suspension, brakes?

Knowing this wasn't your question at all, I too would vote for originality. But one less original '55 won't hurt (much). Seems like you have made up your mind and are prepared, even relishing, the challenges. You may want to check that issue on the '41 and contact Ray Johnson in Knoxville, TN (the owner). You do have some kindred spirits in the CLC.
Chris Conklin

brian faull clc#25881

Make sure you replace your radiator!  Stock Caddies with 472 have enormous radiators. If you put in a small radiator or use the original radiator you'll never cool.
brian faull clc#25881

txlowbrow

sorry guys i've been out and about.  my car is currently stuck in a church parking lot.  I pressed on the gas the other night and the engine started dying like it was out of gas.  finally died.  I thought it mihgt just be out of gas so i walked to a gas station and picked up some more and walked all the way back to try and start her.  She wont budge.  i pour a little gas in the carb and the car will start ,but then just die. Also poured gas in the tank so i'm not sure what's goin on . i'm going back this afternoon to try and rescue her.  any ideas

as far as the engine swap goes i'm still waiting on the 472 to be pulled out from the 69 cadillac.  If the car was cherry and everything was original i wouldn't mess with doing any modifications at all.  The car has had the interior completely ripped out with custom seats and different carpet etc installed.  The car has be lowered a bit and there is some pretty extensive body work done on the car.  the door handles are gone, shaved.  it's black with a blue metal flake roof.  So i'm not going for authenticity.

Otto Skorzeny

Although many things could be causing your car's current problem, my immediate guess would be a fuel pump problem or blockage in the line. I think you can rule out vapor lock since it's had plenty of time to cool off. You say it runs when primed but then dies.

I'd check to make sure the filter is secure with no leaks and that the element has no crud in it.

Perform a fuel pump test according to the manual or just go buy a new one at Auto Zone. Most chain parts stores will carry new pumps for your car for about $45.

As far as engine swap, I'm all for it after reading about all the other mods.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

txlowbrow

here's a few pics. ;D

Otto Skorzeny

I've seen that car before. Did you post pics in the past? Did you buy it on ebay?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

txlowbrow

no sir. I bought it from a guy in dallas, i think i may have posted that image here before.

Eric S. Maypother #15104

I can't find it now but in the past week I was sure I saw a mid 50's Fleetwood on eBay with a 472, I've also seen a mid 50's Cadillac somewhere with a Norstar.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with an older Cadillac, but after hearing what some of the other guys said I think I'd be better off just keeping the original motor, these cars were good as daily drivers back in the 50's so with a good motor and keep it maintained it will still be a good daily driver, my father drover across the country 7 times in cars from the 40's and 50's, funny once he was on the last few miles of trip and got a flat and had to unload everything he had in trunk, people he knew driving by probably never knew he left town.

1939 Fleetwood with 502 ramjet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1939-Cadillac-Fleetwood-60S-Take-A-Look_W0QQitemZ110389024921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item19b3b2d899&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

txlowbrow

Quote from: Eric S. Maypother #15104 on May 13, 2009, 11:05:52 AM
I can't find it now but in the past week I was sure I saw a mid 50's Fleetwood on eBay with a 472, I've also seen a mid 50's Cadillac somewhere with a Norstar.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with an older Cadillac, but after hearing what some of the other guys said I think I'd be better off just keeping the original motor, these cars were good as daily drivers back in the 50's so with a good motor and keep it maintained it will still be a good daily driver, my father drover across the country 7 times in cars from the 40's and 50's, funny once he was on the last few miles of trip and got a flat and had to unload everything he had in trunk, people he knew driving by probably never knew he left town.

1939 Fleetwood with 502 ramjet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1939-Cadillac-Fleetwood-60S-Take-A-Look_W0QQitemZ110389024921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item19b3b2d899&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

it's not as hard as people are making it out to be. if you're pretty hande with a cutting torch,welder it's not that hard.  notching the cross member and boxing it is the most didfficult part.

txlowbrow

of course i could be eating my words mid swap.