News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Exhaust manifold insulation source for WW II era flatheads?

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], May 19, 2009, 12:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barry [CLC17027]

What is/are the recommended source(s) for "correct" insulation for exhaust manifolds for the flathead V-8 engines of the '39-'48 vintage?  I had heard that it was McVey, but a recent check of their website showed nothing along those lines.  (I suppose I could get some sort of high temperature insulation from a plumbing/heating supply house, but it may not be the correct color, and it sure won't have the right bands to hold it in place.)  Thanks.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Herman clc 19416

Try Bob Cooper @ Coopers Vinatge Cadillacs in Burbank.. (coopersvintageemail addresses not permitted) he has a very good replacement that comes with the straps and looks completely originsl.  The kit comes in aplastic bag that is a flast sheet that you wrap around the pipe and when exposed to air shrinks to the pipe..almost like casting a broken arm  great stuff

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi John: Coopers has that listed as a kit for $90. If you do buy it I recommend that if possible to disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold and muffler. It is a lot easier working with exhaust pipe out of the car. The last two that I have put on required about an inch of material being cut after the material is wrapped around the pipe. With the pipe on the car then you will need to find a way to hold everything in place while you fit, cut and put the straps in place.  Have fun

http://www.coopersvintage.com/catalogs.html

Otto Skorzeny

Call McVey's whenever you need something. Their website sucks. They have many things that are not on the website the last time I looked.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

John Barry [CLC17027]

Quote from: Herman clc 19416 on May 19, 2009, 01:43:59 PM
Try Bob Cooper @ Coopers Vinatge Cadillacs in Burbank.. (coopersvintageemail addresses not permitted) he has a very good replacement that comes with the straps and looks completely originsl.  The kit comes in aplastic bag that is a flast sheet that you wrap around the pipe and when exposed to air shrinks to the pipe..almost like casting a broken arm  great stuff

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on May 19, 2009, 01:44:08 PM
Hi John: Coopers has that listed as a kit for $90. If you do buy it I recommend that if possible to disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold and muffler. It is a lot easier working with exhaust pipe out of the car. The last two that I have put on required about an inch of material being cut after the material is wrapped around the pipe. With the pipe on the car then you will need to find a way to hold everything in place while you fit, cut and put the straps in place.  Have fun

http://www.coopersvintage.com/catalogs.html

Thanks for the installation description and tips, along with the pricing.  Bill: you're the second person to mention removing the exhaust pipe.  I'd guess Coopers also has the necessary gaskets that I'd need to replace after removing the exhaust pipe.

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on May 19, 2009, 05:55:43 PM
Call McVey's whenever you need something. Their website sucks. They have many things that are not on the website the last time I looked.

Tell me how you really feel!  ;D  By the way, I like the fact that you've named your '56 after der Eisenreichskanzler.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: John Barry [CLC17027] on May 20, 2009, 07:11:26 AM
  By the way, I like the fact that you've named your '56 after der Eisenreichskanzler.

Only indirectly. It's big and grey so it's named for the battleship which, in turn, was named for Otto Von Bismarck. 

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's my oem 49 coupe pipe wrapping. Note the undercoating on rear band.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Cadcliff

Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz