News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 coupe deville hardtop

Started by method1797, June 28, 2009, 03:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

method1797

I recently inherited this car and was wondering the value of it?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Would be able to give you a closer idea if you could describe its' condition, and post a couple of pictures if possible.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

LM 25575

L. Marzana
- 1949 Cadillac 62 4 door
- 1981 HD FLTC

Jeff Maltby 4194

August 2006 Old Price Guide

#1 $45,000
#2 $31,500
#3 $20,250
#4 $9,000
#5 $5,400
#6 $1,800

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180364798678
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

method1797

my grandfather purchased the car 40 yrs ago and is second owner. is in great condition. drives and everything works on it. no rust, dents or anything

Misfit

Go to a good bookstore and get a new copy of Old Car Price Guide. Or even look at it and get the info you need, without purchase. Jeff's copy is from 2006. Mucho fluctuation in market values since then. You want an up to date figure on the car.

But as always, the value of any specific vehicle is.....
What you will accept and a buyer is willing to pay.

MisFit

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Manheim Gold Value Guide
May 2009

Fair $13,000
Good $24,000
Exec $35,000
Show $43,000

Otto Skorzeny

I think Manheim over-values their listings in many cases.

Here's a sight that gives more down to earth values, in my opinion. It's good compare several sources to get a ballpark idea, though.

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/menus/ccmprcs/49ca6262.htm

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/menus/makes.htm
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jeff Maltby 4194

$1,500-$3,600-$6,000--$12,500-$21,000-$30,000
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Chris Conklin

Not much to go on, pics always help. From the little we do know (I'm assuming quite a bit here) it sounds like a nice original car in great shape and if it is truly a Series 62 Coupe Deville, you could be in the mid-$20K range pretty easily. Will somebody pay that in this economy? Ya never know. You can go through Hemmings and pick the web sites of auction houses and get data as well. But all the pricing resources are only as good as the most recent data, and how many of these models have sold recently? They only made 2,150 of them, that's as low as Eldorado production (and that's good for you). A point of interest, the one millionth Cadillac produced was also the last 1949 Coupe Deville off the line.

If you can post some photos that would be great (just because I'm nosey). And a photo of the cowl tag as well. Aaaannnnddd... Why are you enquiring? Are you contemplating selling the car?  ;D
Chris Conklin

method1797

The car is a true coupe deville. i am in no way or form contemplating on selling it. I am just curious on the value of the car to see where it stands and if it was worth me air bagging it or just leaving it all original.  have always known the car was a rare unique model, just wasn't sure how rare or unique it was. pictures will be posted soon..

Chris Conklin

I vote to keep it original, for what it's worth. I'll have to reiterate what LM posted above; you're a very lucky man! Can't wait to see the car. My family on my father's side has driven only Cadillacs since the late '30s... I haven't inherited a single one.
Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

One last tidbit that I overlooked, '49 is the first year of the Coupe de Ville as well. If you are really, really, really, really lucky it is a Coupe de Ville built on a 60 Special Fleetwood chassis with a 133" wheelbase, Style # 6037X. They made one of those, not sure for who. Maybe Yann or somebody out there knows of the whereabouts of that car?
Chris Conklin

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: method1797 on June 30, 2009, 01:37:03 PM
I am just curious on the value of the car to see where it stands and if it was worth me air bagging it or just leaving it all original. 
I'd say it is worth keeping everything original. The '49 model year has stood for decades as one of the best ever for Cadillac and the Coupe de Ville is the rarest body style and my favorite.

Walter Youshock

Also "Motor Trend"'s FIRST EVER "Car of the Year"!!!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

You guys don't even want to know how many 49 CDV's a now deceased "butcher" parted out. Maybe Jeff Matby knows. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Al Keefe passed away last summer along with RayTibbs, long time CLC member/President of the Cadillac Drivers Club in Sacramento.

I watched Al part out a near perfect 53 De Ville once whispering to myself Are You Crazy ? Not sure how many Vintage 40's-50's Cadillacs Al got his hands on less Too Many :<)

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500