News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

85 eldorado brake problem

Started by TDog, July 06, 2009, 01:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDog

hello, let me start by saying i know nothing really of car repair, I had a friend put new brakes on my car front and back as well as replace a rear calliper, but now the brake light wont go off, i was told they didnt bleed the brakes properly and that it may be the proportioning valve or the master cylinder may be blown, i was wondering where the proportioning valve is located, and what the problem might be any help would be appreciated thank you ???

Dave Shepherd

Not knowing the details of what was done and how, I would suggest a proper power bleed to start off, do not worry about the prop. valve at this point.

paul

check the emergency brake pedal. pull up on it and see if light goes out. i have done a extencive rebuild on a 84. make sure you use your emergency brake regularly. that keeps the rear calipers in adjustment and ratchets out the rear brake piston as the pads wear. mAKE SURE EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE IS ADJUSTED.  does the car stop good?

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: paul on July 06, 2009, 09:58:53 PM
check the emergency brake pedal. pull up on it and see if light goes out. i have done a extencive rebuild on a 84. make sure you use your emergency brake regularly. that keeps the rear calipers in adjustment and ratchets out the rear brake piston as the pads wear. mAKE SURE EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE IS ADJUSTED.  does the car stop good?
Good points Paul ,when this is an issue the pedal will be very low, those calipers in the day were known for freezing up.

Guidematic

First of all, you can't "Blow" the master or proportioning valve by not bleeding the brakes correctly, unless the master cylinder was severely worn to begin with.

How is the brake pedal? Is it low? Is it soft or hard? Do the brakes function as normal?

Check the emergency brake cable adjustment, like noted. This light is on the same electrical circuit ans the low pressure warning and can be illumined when the cables are not correctly adjusted.

In replacing the calipers, ware the park brake levers installed correctly? This can result in a low pedal and the brake light coming on.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69