News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac serie 62 carrier bearing

Started by raffaele, December 09, 2008, 09:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepherd

Nice tool, I have one just like it, but you still have to get the diff case out of the housing to use the tool.

Steve Passmore

Hi there Raffaele
I'm the English guy that Bob was talking about,  Firsty,  Bruce, it will do you no good to compare the diff on a 66, these were of conventional construction,
Design of the diff in the 59 go's way back to 36 or 37 with the 60 series, and its true, on the face of it they were not meant to be repaired. No information is even in the manuals for these and they have distinct differences with the larger series, having said that for some inexplicable reason Buick took to this design in their 59 and 60 models and they had no problems telling everyone how to do it,
I have a print out I can email you of the Buick setup if you would like, but believe me, the special tools needed are formidable, I have come across some of them and I am still looking for the others.
There are 3 needed tools. the bearing towers have to be spread with special slim chisels, then a special puller can remove the inner sleeves, its these that prevent the diff from freeing, when it comes to reassemble two false shafts keep everything in line and a very special expander ring is used to get the diff and shims back into the Carrier, I am in the process of making this tool then its just one more to go, the special internal puller. Steve
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Otto Skorzeny

Good Lord!

Is there a differential or rear axle setup from another vehicle that could be installed on these cars? Even if they required some modification it doesn't sound like it would be any harder to do than the repair on the old one.

I wonder if a truck (lorry) repair shop might be able to do this? A lot of heavy truck  repair shops do specialized repairs like this simply because trucking companies try to keep their machines on the road as long as possible.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Steve Passmore

In all my 60 years in this game I have never seen any diff interchangeability, you have all sorts of problems with shaft sizes and splines that its a logistical nightmare and parts from trucks are twice the size anyway. A complete axle change would be the only answer if you didn't mind different wheels and track width on your car, but we are not talking Hot rods here are we???
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Otto Skorzeny

I didn't mean to put a truck diff on it. I meant that truck repair shops are often better equipped to work on things like differentials than regular auto repair places.

As for a subsitute, it seems to me that if there is no other option, find an entire rear axle assembly from a Pontiac or Oldsmobile or something and modify it to fit. It may not win you any points at a judged show but at least you'll be able to drive your car.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Steve Passmore

That would be an answer if a 59 axle was not available, the only difference would be the lower ratio of Pontiac if you could stand the low gearing, but you must remember like me the guy is in Europe, we just dont have the choices that you have in the US, If he has to ship a complete axle over the pond he may as well find the right one. When living here one has to find a solution to these things as there are often no replacement parts here for American cars.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Kiwi59

Hi first post here, I'm in the same boat. My '59 diff has been run low on oil due leaking pinion seal and I know for sure the forward pinion bearing is no good. Steve if you can send photos and dimensions of the "spreader ring" I would greatly appreciate it. Getting another diff head from a wrecker is not an easy option for us non U.S. residents. If i have to get a replacement does anyone know of alternatives, I understand Buick used the same design but do they fit and if so what are the ratios, I have lower profile tyres and a higher ratio would be great.
Cheers
Ted.
1959 Coupe P/S,P/B manual windows, seats and no A/C

Steve Passmore

Hi Ted
Email me directly at passmoresyankfarm@hotmail.co.uk and Ill pass on any imformation I have, I may even now of another axle here in the UK
Steve
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Richard Goulden

I have seen all this discussion on this forum before.
Once again I will say, it can be done .
I live in New Zealand, and getting my 59 diff rebuilt was no prblem.
I sourced all the bearings from a local bearing supplier. they found them all nos Timkin brand.
The guys laughed when they arrived cause the boxes were covered in dust from siting unwanted for years, in a warehouse somewhere, ( I think Australia).
Anyway I took the diff head and the bearings, and pinion seal to my local diff shop.
Ever done one of these I said. No they replied but we don't expect any trouble.
The gears were perfect I would like to add.
It was finished a week later, said they had trouble, pulling out one of those sleeves that are mentioned in an earlier post.
The price was very reasonable, in fact it was cheaper than the bearings.
Hope this helps

Steve Passmore

Thanks for the information Richard, I have passed that on to Ted, as he lives in the same country as you his prayers are answered. He should contact you direct and get the address.   Your very fortunate to have a diff repair shop with the right equipment, we certainly dont have that here in the UK and from the answers Iv had there doesn't seen to be much in the US or Australia either.
Someone said before that there must be some place in the whole of the US capable of doing these rear ends, but its just a case of someone out there finding them, doesn't help us much here in England though, even the American size bearings are unavailable here.  Guess Ill just have to keep sourcing the right tools.

Steve
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

raffaele

Hello Guys , apologize for my absence, I had problems with computers, thanks to all for the answers and cooperation, knowing that it could not be repaired,  in December, I decided to buy a 3:21 rear axle used in california , after so much hard work I have done dismount from junkyard, I did send in italy, has cost a lot because of shipping weight ,after 20 days now arrived

the gear seems  good , also bearing, yesterday I have installed on car,I put oil 85w-140, I replaced the rear wheel bearing ... but bad luck ..  the car is now raised from the ground, I can not try on the road because there is a lot of snow here, I turned the engine speed in fourth at 50-60 mph  and you hear a noise much lighter I believe from pinion bearing ... are very dry ... and I believe that I shall with the removal and review of my old carrier
I understand that some of you can do it, I believe that the most difficult thing is to extract the sleeves side, if you did what extractor?

I do not know what to do, thanks to all and sorry for my english

Tony Coenradi

Hi, I know that it is maybe to late but 2 days ago I located some carrier bearings (not cheap) Pinion brgs and seal is not a problem one cost $78.00 the other $70.00 and many avaible, at this point I do not know howe many carrier brgs there are, as for rebuilding the diff a shop in Holland knows howe to do it, let me know if I can be of more help.
Hi first post here, I'm in the same boat. My '59 diff has been run low on oil due leaking pinion seal and I know for sure the forward pinion bearing is no good. Steve if you can send photos and dimensions of the "spreader ring" I would greatly appreciate it. Getting another diff head from a wrecker is not an easy option for us non U.S. residents. If i have to get a replacement does anyone know of alternatives, I understand Buick used the same design but do they fit and if so what are the ratios, I have lower profile tyres and a higher ratio would be great.
Cheers
Ted.
1959 Coupe P/S,P/B manual windows, seats and no A/C
[/quote]

Tony Coenradit

Hi, my name is Tony, I do know of a shop in Holland that can rebuild your diff let me know if you are interested and I will send you the info.
is a sin not to repair .....the ring and pinion is very good, the problem is that noise at 70-80 mph, from my experience I think is the problem of pinion preload, so I can not do anything? I have to replace the entire differential
[/quote]