News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Were they enameled at the factory or not?

Started by Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397, May 24, 2009, 03:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I was thumbing through my old, worn copy of Maurice Hendry's great tome, Cadillac, Standard of the World and two pictures on one page brought to mind a question I have asked before, but have never gotten a definitive answer to.  So, all you 1930's OHV gurus... here it is:  Were valve covers  on the V-12's and OHV V-16's enameled at the factory or not? Were some of them and not others?  Could you order them either way? One of the illustrations I'm referring to is a print advertisement entitled "WORKS OF THE MODERN MASTERS" which clearly shows the enamel work on the sides, ends, and center caps of the valve covers. On the same page is a picture of Cadillac chief engineer Chas. F. Kettering with his hand resting on a suspended V-16 that has no enamel work at all on the valve covers. Those engines look good with just the natural matte silver metal finish on the covers, but very much better with them enameled.  Virtually all of the ones you see restored and on display or in judging have the enamel work, but occasionally you see an engine that has no enamel on it, a recent example being Ty Stinson's '37 8519. So, what's the story?  

Stinson

Great question Rusty and thank you for bringing it up. I remember you questioning me about the photo of my car's original V-12 engine not having any enamel on the valve covers. I have also a copy of Maurice Hendry's "Cadillac, Standard of the World" and have seen the photo of the V-16 display engine you mentioned having natural matte silver metal finish on the valve covers. I had planed to leave mine like that and polish the ribs on top. I plan to purchase a copy of the factory record sheet showing the as-build configuration for $50.00 from the GM Heritage Center to find the answer to this question. The record sheet should include original paint color as well as the trim code. Does anyone know the answer to Rusty's question, or if this information may be in their copy of the GM Heritage Center's factory record sheet for their engine?
Ty Stinson
'37 8519
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Stinson

Can anyone tell me where I can send my '37 V-12 valve covers for the correct "natural matte silver metal finish". Mine are in the original finish (without the black) but need to be polished (?) or recoated. Who can you recommend to do this work correctly?
Thank you,
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330