News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'77 Seville's external fuel pump rebuildable?

Started by Greg McDonnell, July 25, 2009, 02:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg McDonnell

My '77 Seville's external fuel pump is slowly leaking at the electrical connector.  There are four screws that look like, once removed, would allow me to access the inside of the case.  Is there a gasket that has deteriorated that is causing the pump to leak at this location?  If it is reparable, I'd prefer doing that rather than replacing it.  The aftermarket pumps I've been able to find are not the same size/shape and the ports aren't even located in the same places.  If it is not reparabale, could someone suggest where I might find an original one for sale? 

Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance anyone is willing to provide!

Greg McDonnell
CLC#20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Dave Shepherd

There is a seal in the connector area, of course our modern somewhat ethanol gas has probably, along with age finished it, in the day these pumps were never rebuilt.  I would try the Cadillac suppliers listed in Hemmings News, either used or you may find a rebuilder.

Greg McDonnell

Thanks Dave for your advice!  I started out trying to find a factory replacement (new) but that, so far, has turned up nothing but "No, sorry, I don't have it.  That pump was long ago discontinued."  Then I tried an AC/Delco, so-called 'replacement' pump.  It was a different size and the ports were located in different places.  My mechanic was uncomfortable using it.  Next we located a replacement manufactured by Delphi.  It looks to be similar but not an exact match to the original.  The mechanic ordered it but said he would literally have to have it in his hands and attempt to install it on the car before he could say it would or would not fit properly.  He is the one who suggested a possible replacement kit (for the inner seal/gasket around the connector).  No, I would never have thought the originals were ever rebuilt-merely tossed and a new (and easy to locate) pump used to replace it.  Now with the original ones no longer being made, the idea of keeping my original one and repairing the leak doesn't seem so far-fetched ;D  Afterall, the pump still works properly-only it leaks (albeit it only drips very slowly).  Seems like a doable thing-replacing the seal-but maybe not...anyone reading this thread replaced this seal?

Greg
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Dave Shepherd

As long as you are careful and don't destroy it take it out and remove the connector adapter take a look inside, this is a failry high pressure pusher pump,so the repair must be done properly.

Greg McDonnell

The saga continues...

The shop that I'm using to remove my original, leaky external fuel pump and replace it called today to say the third pump they ordered arrived and it was exactly the same pump as the first two!  So, we've tried AC/Delco, Delphi and Airtex.  I actually looked at photos of the Delphi and Airtex pumps online before the shop ordered each of them and these pumps were not the same.  Yet after ordering them, all turned out to be.  I've seen the handwriting on the wall and asked the shop to get the Airtex pump back in their shop tomorrow.  They are going to have to fabricate some sort of an insulator to wrap the pump as it is smaller in diameter than the OE Bendix pump.  The anchoring strap can't be tightened enough around the pump without the insulator. 

All this because the original pump is no longer available.  Why in the world would AC/Delco advertise this pump as being 'just like the original'?  Believe me, it isn't!

Greg
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Dave Shepherd

If fitment is the only issue I can see them advising the use of this pump, even if some adaptation is required, what is the alternative, this type of deal is done all the time on old cars, no?

Greg McDonnell

Actually I was the one who asked them to stop looking for the Holy Grail.  They returned the third (Airtex) pump after it was delivered today and called me to say the pump was the same as the other ones.  After learning the differences between these pumps and the original, I felt it was worth a try. Since the new pump is slightly longer, of course I asked if there was room for the additional length.  When they said yes, the only problem I could see was the smaller diameter. I asked if somehow the pump could be used with some sort of 'wrap' to make fit snugly in the original pump's strap.  That is what we will try tomorrow.  Hopefully all will go as planned and I'll be moving on to other projects.   

Greg
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Greg McDonnell

Saga over with a happy ending :)

The shop was able to fashion a sturdy insulator that allowed the pump to fit snugly against the factory strap that held the original pump in place.  I guess, in addition to the slow leak, the pump must have been tired (it's 32 years old).  With the old pump, I'd turn the key and the engine would turn over many times before finally starting.  With the new pump, I turn the key and it starts immediately!  Less wear and tear on the starter...I can't wait to actually drive it this weekend to see if there is any noticeable difference in performance.  Man, I love this 'Baby Cadillac'! 
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841