News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Transmission conversion

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, August 21, 2009, 10:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Youshock

Whatever IS in it, I'd get it outta there ASAP!!!  If it's not red, your tranny could go dead!

How many miles on this rebuild?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Steve Passmore

I remember it well when my 59 blew a seal and the fluid ran like a mature Rosa wine!

Certainly could be the trouble with the box. Even in my modern car (1993 Audi) its still red.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

jeff1956

hydramatic hondamatic......its so close maybe whoever put it in there thought it'd be okay since the names are so close....id switch it out to type a, if you can find it...or the modern dex lll.

Walter Youshock

I rode in this car, not very far, and it shifted nicely.  Clear fluid does NOT say "GM" to me.

The wrong fluid will kill clutches and valves.  My front sprag disintegrated within 500 miles of a flush and refill with Dexron.  I can't imagine what this stuff will do.

Furthermore, if this is synthetic or incorrect, could mixing it with Dexron cause it to gel up and clog passages?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

35-709

Dexron III/Mercon is the direct replacement fluid, any parts store, 7-11, or Wal-Mart will have it.
Geoff N.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

Yes but getting all the old stuff out might be tricky. I'd mix up a little in a bottle and see what happens.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

He's GOTTA find out from the shop what the hell they put in there.  I can't imagine any Hydra-Matic parts that are compatible with a CLEAR trans fluid.  Even the power steering requires ATF.

I don't think a "conversion" is the answer at all.  When right, these trannies were smooth, powerful and imperceptible.  Plus, I'm a purist--I'd exhaust everything before being forced to go with a different '57 trans, let alone another year.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

jeff1956

lets just hope that almost clear fluid isnt engine oil....i know of a shop around here that accidentally filled someones tranny with engine oil.....tranny exploded not long after but it worked for a while.  some engine oils are very clear w hardly a hint of amber color....

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.  Yes, the fluid is nearly clear ....... so clear that when I checked it at the picnic the night of the National Driving Tour I, and those around me, had a very difficult time deciding where the fluid was on the dip stick.  I didn't think it was correct that it was so clear, but yet I also have no idea when it was changed last or who did it ....... I bought the transmission from a guy I knew in Georgia and had it installed there before I left several years ago ........ and didn't drive the car much since due to other problems I was having with the engine.  The guy I had rebuild the engine up here recently probably didn't check the transmission one way or the other, but I will check with him to be sure.  But no matter what I find out now, I will definitely take the advice given and not drive the car any further until I can get it to someone to change the fluid and put in the kind specified by Walter.

Thanks again so much for all the help,

Jack.

Otto Skorzeny

May I ask who in Georgia you bought the transmission from? Is it a '57?

I live in Atlanta.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

Jack,

Where is your original trans now?  Are you even sure what you have in the car NOW is a '57? 

That TV rod is a tricky bastarIX.  It seems like each one was ground differently.  The Manual adj was a guide, but it was up to YOU to find the "G"overnor spot.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham