News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CA Black Plate

Started by robailey, August 25, 2009, 11:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robailey

I have been a member for almost 9 months now and still don't know what a CA Black Plate is.  Just curious.
Rob Ailey
Seymour, TN

1975 Coupe Deville
1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
2014 XTS

Otto Skorzeny

In 1963, California issued new plates for all cars registered there. They stayed with the car year after year instead of issuing new ones each year. They were black with yellow letters. They stopped issuing these in 1969.

A car advertised as a "black plate car" means that it's still registered in CA with the same black plates that it was issued in the 1960s.

The title should have the same plate number on it if it is a genuine black plate car.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Chris Conklin

I believe the state will allow you to purchase old black plates for use on vehicles of the correct vintage. So they may not be the original tags on the car... caveat emptor. Somehow the catch-phrase "black plate car" became preferable to just saying the car came from California. And likely became preferable to actually proving it.
Chris Conklin

wrefakis

there are black plate cars that went to cal in 68 from wisconsin,the title will tell you when the car first was sold in cal

Otto Skorzeny

California black plates cannot legally be installed on a car to which they were not originally issued.
fward

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Gee Forest, I didn't realize you were such an expert on Ca. black plates. Not bad for an person that doesn't live here. LOL! Anyhow, your last statement is incorrect. As of 7-1-09 black plates can be assigned to all 1963 thru 1969 cars & all 1963 thru 1972 trucks. Also, you can't always believe what the DMV puts on the titles.  I've seen some strange things. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Otto Skorzeny

7-1-09

Obviously that's pretty recent. I wasn't aware of the change in the law.
fward

Vsixteen

Please note that all cars in 1963 received black plates in california, so a 41 Cadillac may have 63 CA plates. It is very important to understand that a black plate means a car was registered in CA in 1963. I am only referring to cars older than 1963, so a 1911 would have received black plates in 63 if it was in CA. Therefore if a person finds a 50's cad for example with black plates then it shows that this car was in CA in 63 or earlier or later. The new law does not allow placement of black plates on 1962 or older models, as in CA there was a different plate for 56 through 62 cars, which may be used on cars in those years now through the states year of manufacture plate program.

Hope this helps as it is a bit confusing, also the example above with a 68 car coming to CA from Wisconsin is very true and it would have received a 68 black plate which is identical to a 63 plate, but with a different letter sequence.

Steve

1958 Coupe De Ville
1958 Sedan De Ville
1958 Convertible
1959 Convertible CLC Senior & AACA Senior

Richard Sills - CLC #936

If you attribute any importance to California black plates on a car you are thinking of buying, you need to make sure the plates were actually registered to that car.  If you go to a major antique car auction, you will see some dealers who run the same California black plates on more than one car -- or in some cases dividing up a set of California plates to put a rear plate only on two different cars.  Most likely these plates were purchased at a flea market, and have nothing to do with the cars on which they are being displayed. 

I remember reading articles in car magazines back in the '70s about how to "freshen up" your older car and make it appear newer.  One recommended procedure for California cars was to get your old-looking black plates replaced with then-current-issue blue plates. 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Richard, your first paragraph makes perfect sense. However ,your second paragraph makes my blood boil. I can't believe that someone would be that stupid to suggest changing plates would help values. Time has certainly proved him dead WRONG. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Bob, because we are antique collectors, we think about preserving history and features that were authentic to the car as it was when new.  But to a lot of people, old is synonymous with out-of-style, and newer is better.  This is especially true when you are talking about cars that are just old enough to become dated in appearance, but not (at that time) collectible.

When amber front turn signals became required equipment in 1963, I can remember people installing amber turn signal bulbs in older cars to give the impression (to a casual observer) that the car was new.  And when side marker lights were required in 1968, I recall people installing them in their '66 or '67 cars for the same reason.           

Maybe the worst example of this practice is when some owners of "split-window" 1963 Corvette coupes modified their cars to accommodate the single rear window that was used in 1964-67.  This was one alteration that I'm sure was regretted afterwards.