News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oh the indignity of it all! I cannot believe this poor car........

Started by Jim Thompson, August 26, 2009, 06:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Not bad, $3550. Anyone have the interest to contact the buyer & see what his plans are? Stock, modified??? Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Charles Kendall

Oh, come on guys, I just love the look of the car.  That Rolls Royce grille was just the thing that Cadillac forgot.  (Just Kidding, I about gagged when I first saw it, but I'm sure someone will need it.)

I'll have to wait to take full stock of the car until it arrives.  Based on the photographs, I really don't expect much more than a donor.  Seller thinks its restorable.  But, talking with him, he describes a body that needs inner/outer rockers, supports and floor/trunk work.   However, donor plus reasonable unrestored Series 62 equals a neat convertible on a budget.  The question is do you graft the bottom of the Series 62 to the convertible or the top of the convertible to the Series 62.  Won't know till I see it.

As to the build, it's going to be built as a long distance touring car.  (Power Tour/Americruise/etc.)  So, disc brakes are mandatory.   Probably a subframe and Corvette IRS rear.  I also have a fresh 59 - 60 390 tripower on a stand in my garage together with a built 700r4 and Bendtsen's adapter kit.

Just some thoughts, will update later, after I stop crying when it arrives.

Chuck Kendall

Edward Hurst

I agree with the seller. This car is very restorable if you have the patience to stick with it.  You got a good buy on it.  I have found out over the years if you have the desire and a half-way ability to do something that this car would make a fine machine.  One thing that would make it out of reach would be if you had to pay someone to do the work.  Keep us posted on how it goes. Not meaning to step on any toes, but there are those that can't do this car, and therefore it is not worth much, if anything at all.  If it were anywhere close to me I would like to help.
One major problem is that you might have to make a lot of the  parts.  I can't see that many parts being available.

Ed
Ed

Hurst Engines in Jeffersonville, Indiana
MSF RiderCoach
Aircraft Machinist USAF (Ret)
Viet Nam Vet (U.S. Army)
Disabled American Veteran
Streetrod Builder/enthusiaist
1929 Buick 29-27
1937 Cadillac 7019
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
Mortec SBC Engine (Moderator)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations Chuck,

I would be waiting for the arrival before making too many decisions.

But, grafting the Convertible Specific parts to another rust-free bottom would be the way to go.

But, you might be surprised, and end up with two cars.   One for winter, and the other for the rest of the year, or as a spare.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve Passmore

Great job Chuck, It certainly deserved to be saved. My 41 convertible was 10 times worse than this car. It was in a wrecking yard for 36 years with no rear end just sat on its floor pan.   I never had a rusty floor, I had NO floor, from the pedals back to the trunk handle it was all missing with a fern tree growing where the rear seat used to be. I never had a donor car so it took me a year to fabricate a floor pan matching Cadillac swages and shapes.  6 years for the whole car.  To late in life to go through that again but I'm glad my car was saved glad yours is too.
Steve

Top picture shows the remains of the floor, the structure to the left takes the trunk latch receiver and far top is the remains of left rocker panel. Bottom picture shows the completed floor.

Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Edward Hurst

Never know, you might possibly even be lucky enough to be able to see the one to pay for both of them ;D.  Stranger things have happened.

Ed
Ed

MSF RiderCoach
Viet Nam Vet (U.S. Army)
1929 Buick 29-27
1937 Cadillac 7019
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

Jim Thompson

Please post pics when she arrives, I can't wait to see them. I really love my 46 and can only wish it was a convertible  ;D
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Charles Kendall

Well, looking at the quality of the work performed by Steve Passmore and the rather complete lack of a starting point, looks like I probably have something to work with.  I will post pictures when the car gets here and I get it cleaned up and cleaned out.

I know I will be looking for a rust free front clip and trunk lid.  Anybody know if the trunk lid from the 4 door Series 62 sedan will work?  Probably the easiest starting place is to locate a western Series 62 sedan for the front clip and most of the metal.  If anyone has a sunbaked shell sitting in the back yard, let me know.  I am about 75 miles southeast of Tucson, but would be willing to have a car transported.

I'll keep you updated.

Chuck Kendall

Otto Skorzeny

What's the story on the two parts cars that the seller of this one has? Are they not suitable as front end donors?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Charles Kendall

Both are in South Carolina, I'm in Arizona.  Cross country transport generally runs about $1,000 per car.  On a convertible, I'll pay it, particularly since convertibles are pretty scarce here in Arizona and those that are here have either been restored or picked over quite well.  As to the donor,  I'd rather find a solid western car that has decent original floorboards.

Jim Thompson

1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

hotroddwayne

One of my online friends over on NHAA (a hearse enthusiast website) bought a 1949 Cadillac hearse out of this SAME stash of old cars. He posted a bunch of pix of the "inventory" he saw when he arrived... what an incredible find of hidden Caddys & other old iron! Here's the photo album link:
http://www.nationalhearse.net/forums/album.php?albumid=100

So you don't think i'm pulling your leg, here's the same convertible a few months ago:

Dwayne Brooks

hotroddwayne

Quite possibly this is the parts car he mentioned to you Charles after looking through the NHAA album closely, and it's parked beside the convertible:
Dwayne Brooks

Steve Passmore

Well, after looking over these larger pictures of Waynes, I have to say Im more impressed now with the workmanship that went into creating this Frankenstein, I cant see any obvious back yard botches. Considerable work has gone into making the hood match the shell and even the fenders have been made to fit the upside down 59 rear pods.  This was not a case of kids messing with the old car "out back"  I wonder if it was made for a film promotion or something??

I can see these cars parked with it are no good for the parts Charles will need.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Edward Hurst

The old car may be in poor shape and require a lot of work, but I still think it is a good find.  She will turn a lot of heads driving down the road.

Ed
Ed

MSF RiderCoach
Viet Nam Vet (U.S. Army)
1929 Buick 29-27
1937 Cadillac 7019
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

Charles Kendall

At least he tried to keep some of the water out of it.  That tarp looks newer.  I don't think the parts cars have anything useful.  May have located a western parts car up in Reno.  Am planning to look into transport of the ragtop next week.

Chuck