News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Radiator overflow tube

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, October 05, 2009, 08:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello , I never had a problem with my radiator or overheating . I noticed my Coolant level was a little low , so i topped it off with Antifreeze . It drank about a quart and a half . A few days later i went  for a ride about ten miles . When i put the car away i noticed the Coolant coming out of the overflow tube onto the Garage floor . I never had this problem before , is it possible  i over filled the radiator. Also i noticed that my overflow tube has a few holes on  the top of the tube . i am not too concerned about that . but i am concerned about the coolant coming out of the overfill tube . Any help would be greatly appreciated  . Also should there be a overflow tank  ?
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Otto Skorzeny

First, make sure you have the correct pressure cap and that it's working / sealing properly.

Second, The radiator should only be filled to just cover the cooling tubes.  Check your owner's manual.

The '56 says two inches below the filler neck. More than that and it will pour out the overflow tube when hot.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

David King (kz78hy)

I think you will be fine.  You probably added to much fluid and it is prefect now since it got rid of any excess.  Not a great way for the environment, but the way it was done in the past.

One more opinion.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

bcroe

I added a simple radiator overflow to every car I drove not so equipped.  Later I was glad I had.  Bruce Roe CLC # 14630