News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Cadillac windshield washer problem

Started by Kevin Kenneally, September 06, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Kenneally

I have a '55 Cadillac with just over 20,000 original miles..  Can't seem to get the windshield washer solution to spray on the windshield? The solution pools on top of the lid under the black, square mechanism that sits on top of the lid..  Not sure what it is called but air is sucked in the hole on the back of it and when I put my finger on it, the wipers start wiping???  Any help is appreciated..  thanks!

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

That black square gizmo with the red round top contains a solenoid that is activated
when you push the washer button.  That's what diverts the water onto the windshield.
If the hoses are intact, you likely have some kind of internal failure / leak.

McVey's has a very good service where they rebuild these units replacing all needed parts
and also do the cosmetics (new lid, decal, etc.). I had mine done by them and am very satisfied.

Their site is:  http://www.mcveys.com/

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Kevin Kenneally

Thanks for the reply..  There are 2 mechanisms on the top of the lid..  The on on the left is red and marked "Trico"..  The on the right is square and black and is the one leaking..  I unscrewed the lid to see if they can be removed from the lid but they appeared to be riveted on.... 

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

They are riveted on and there is no easy to repair them and make it look "right".  That's why I recommended the rebuilding service.  When you get it back, everything will work and it looks like new!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Kevin Kenneally

Kevin Kenneally

I got the lid back from McVey's today and everything is like new.  Problem is I still can't get any solution on the windshield!!??  I took the rubber tube off the firewall to see if solution was coming out when I pressed the button and it did (although only a small stream) and I can't seem to get the wipers to turn off..  I checked the owners manual and it says to turn the knob clockwise to turn them on but makes no reference how to turn them off..  The 1954 service manual (as big as it is) does not even cover the wipers??  I checked the hoses under the dash and they are like new..  Of course I don't know how to check them where they connect to the bottom of the wiper but I don't know what to do..  I spent money on a re-build but still don't have a washer that works nor do I understand how to turn the wipers off.....  Any advice?  Kevin

Otto Skorzeny

Try unplugging them at various sections and blowing through them with your mouth. Can you blow water or air through the hose and through the nozzles?

Start at one end and work your way to the other end making sure the hoses are clear. They might look good but could be cracked, degraded or clogged with crud. When the rubber breaks down, little pieces of it end up clogging the nozzles or whatever. Make sure the hoses are all connected and routed properly.

Be gentle with the knob. It only takes one push for the squirter to activate. the wipers will go for a for a few swipes then stop automatically.

When you turn it on. Turn it and take your hand off of it.

Make sure you have good vcuum to begin with and that there are no vacuum leaks in any of the vacuum lines - not just the ones connected to the wipers.

Replacing them all is a good idea if they are of unknown quality.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jeff Maltby 4194

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on October 07, 2009, 02:43:11 PM
Try unplugging them at various sections and blowing through them with your mouth. Can you blow water or air through the hose and through the nozzles?

Start at one end and work your way to the other end making sure the hoses are clear. They might look good but could be cracked, degraded or clogged with crud. When the rubber breaks down, little pieces of it end up clogging the nozzles or whatever. Make sure the hoses are all connected and routed properly.

Be gentle with the knob. It only takes one push for the squirter to activate. the wipers will go for a for a few swipes then stop automatically.

When you turn it on. Turn it and take your hand off of it.

Make sure you have good vcuum to begin with and that there are no vacuum leaks in any of the vacuum lines - not just the ones connected to the wipers.

Replacing them all is a good idea if they are of unknown quality.

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Kevin Kenneally

If turning them clockwise turns the wipers on, what turns them off since there is no "on/off switch"?

Otto Skorzeny

Lightly turn the knob counter-clockwise and release it.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE