News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My current resto project: 1955 S&S Victoria

Started by jeff1956, September 02, 2009, 11:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff1956

Okay all, I have a question....in starting on the suspension I cannot figure out if the rear shocks are the same for all commercial chassis.  I have purchased new monroe shocks for the front and I want to make sure that the rears will work between the 75's and the 86 series cars.  So, will the 75 series commercial chassis rear shocks fit the 86 series commercial chassis cars?  Stupid question, but thought I would confirm before I get them ordered.

Thanks!

Jeff

35-709

No stupid questions, just stupid mistakes because the question wasn't asked.
;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jeff1956

Awesome Lou!  Thank you,  just the info I was looking for.  I had an inclination that they probably were the same, but then got to thinking that with the heavier load on an 86 series car that it possibly had heavier duty shocks installed by the coachbuilder.  I'm new to pro-cars so I am clueless on some things.  I will get those ordered this week, as they are not stocked at the parts store.  I am in the process of cleaning up and repainting the front suspension components as I'm going along....then I will install the new shocks so that I do not get any overspray on them, as they are bright yellow in color.  Tomorrow the front bumper and radiator support comes off so I can get at everything a little easier.   First new parts this coach has seen in decades!!

Jeff

jeff1956

this post is going to be full of questions...but i am looking for info on the laquer number or numbers 32118... or 32 118  i cannot tell bc it was stamped by hess and eisenhardt...looking to the future and figured id ask.  i cannot find my 55 colors, but under the black the paint looks to be an off white and under that is red oxide primer.  i am still not sure that when the time comes that i will keep the oginal color especially if its white...im thinking dark marroon with black vicodec top with the marroon and silver interior, but i realize im skipping really far ahead.  ill take pics of progress as it comes along.
jeff

EDIT:

disregard the paint code 32118....when I took the coachbuilder tag off of the radiator support today, I noticed that it also had 32118 listed, but as the manufacturer's number.  I now think that it has nothing to do with a paint code, even though they stamped that across the trim section of the cowl tag.  As far as I can tell, they did not document the paint via the cowl tag or the S&S coachbuilder tag.  I don't like off-white anyways.....

Jim Thompson

1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

jeff1956

jeff1956

Well it's official....I got the title to the car from the state earlier this week.  Work will now begin on the chassis, suspension, and brakes.  I'll keep you updated!

Jeff

Brett Cottel

Quote from: jeff1956 on October 01, 2009, 01:05:48 AM
Well it's official....I got the title to the car from the state earlier this week.  Work will now begin on the chassis, suspension, and brakes.  I'll keep you updated!

Jeff
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Brett Cottel

Hi Jeff, I am currently restoring a 55 Cadillac Meteor Combo Car.  Looks like you've got some work to do....mine is at the frame off stage without the frame off.  Just can't get myself to deal with the body off  but I am basically there anyway.  I'll get some pics to post you on this project soon.

thanks Brett

Ps: wondering if you have ever taken the steering center link apart? Looks like quite the process & was thinking I might be better off replacing it?
thanks for the help

CLC #27535

jeff1956

I would love to see your meteor coach!  I have quite a daunting task ahead of me with this one, but I will take all the blame because the coach was in much better shape when I first acquired it.  Best part is.....it's 98% complete as far as coach specific parts go.  The center link, idler arm, etc were all removed from my car before I purchased it.  I am acquiring a setup out of a fleetwood sedan, since everything in front of the doors is standard cadillac gear.  I would say while you've got it apart you might as well, at least, have it rebuilt.  They sell center link rebuild kits....I believe original parts group stocks them.  You can also buy a brand new center link from rare parts.... it is right at 400.00..I believe the rebuild kit is much cheaper and will give you the same result.   It would be a shame to spend all those funds in restoring that beauty and still have it (possibly) drive in a manner sub par to a cadillac's stature, due to worn steering parts.  Believe it or not, Auto Zone, Oreilly, and Advance(if you have a competitor part number b/c 1955 has mostly been removed from the advance catalog) can get most anything for the front-end for the 55 fleetwood 75 series limousine, which will interchange with the 80 series coach except the control arm bushings, you'll have to get those from a cadillac vendor, unless someone else here knows otherwise.  They can get other things as well.  If you need any leads on parts I may be able to help you as I've been researching locating parts for mine and have most all of the current available replacement part numbers for wheel cylinder kits (even the commercial rear kits), shock absorbers, stabilizer bar bushings (to frame), stabilizer end link kits(VIN dependent), etc...all had at the local parts store, either the same day or next day.  Email me and I'll let you know and if it's something I haven't researched....I'll be happy to research it because I'll eventually have to anyways :)   I am slowly coming to the realization, unfortunately, that if I want to get this restoration kicked off in a big way.... I may have to sell my 56 Fleetwood in order to finance a decent portion.  I'm really having a hard time with that decision, but it may be time to cut the strings and open myself up for a new automotive adventure with the coach, a vehicle that came into many peoples lives when they were at their worst, and helped them in some small way to say goodbye in the most personal and respectful way possible.  I do not understand why more of these rarest of rare vehicles are not saved.

Jeff

Brett Cottel

Hey Jeff, I seem to have too hi res of pics to send. Any suggestions for degrading the quality so i can send them?  Also seems you have 4 pics on one post....how'd you do that? ;-)
CLC #27535

jeff1956

i have a free account on photobucket.  i upload my pics on photobucket.com and then post an image or img link to them on here.  none of my photos are uploaded here.  its easy and its free.  once you create the free account and upload the pics mouse over them and there will be an info box pop up.  copy paste the last link in the info box it will say img.  after you submit your post with the links included the pics will show up in the post.

jeff

Brett Cottel

ok here goes a photobucket try!

CLC #27535

Brett Cottel

well hopefully that will work. I uploaded about 70 pics so it gives a good idea of some of the interior & trim options as well as the condition of the car. sorry about the sign in the back...my plumber has to put in his 2 cents....as you can see at the end of the pics, the car is now torn down almost completely.  rebuilt brakes, master cylinder, water pump, pulled motor & replaced all gaskets, chromed some parts of the motor for good looks, rebuilding the fuel pump, doors completely torn down, found a great resource in cleanseal.com for the door seals at 50 cents a foot!, found lots of motor parts at the local auto stores, brake shoes, rebuild kits etc.  Buying some rubber from Rubber the right way in San Diego, looking for a windshield, bought a hood emblem for toooo much $ on ebay, etc. Need to find a decent deal on white walls. I am also planning on replacing the linoleum rear deck with wood. Have disassembled all the floor panels, rollers, etc. All there & in good shape. I'll be leaving the scratches on the rollers as I feel that is part of its history. I think the car came out of Ashland, Oregon. assuming it was in service for 30 years at maybe 150-200 funerals a year I figure maybe 4000+ last rides for lots of good souls.  My ranch cats immediately brought a bird into the car....did not eat it....and then removed the bird before consumption. I wonder if they were showing their respect of what eh? I found the car in Hawthorne Nevada.  Where is that? BFE baby! nice guy sold it to me and I am having a really good time figuring this thing out. Gotta love a Cadillac which, by the way, this is my first. The place you mentioned are rare parts, is that the name of the biz? just google it?  thanks again and if you need any help, I'll render it if I can.

thanks Brett
CLC #27535

jeff1956

Beautiful coach!  You have much better bones to work with there than I.  I envy you!  About the center link, you can have auto zone order it from rare parts for you and save on shipping as the price is within dollars of the website cost only you won't have to pay to have it shipped.  Rare Parts, Inc. contact info is:

Rare Parts, Inc.
621 Wilshire Ave. Stockton, CA 95203
phone: 800.621.2005 | fax: 209.948.2851
email: rparts@rareparts.com

As for whitewalls, the only tire made for our coaches is a bias ply tire....the wide white radials are not rated for the curb weight of our vehicles (roughly 8000 lbs unladen), which sucks.  Contact Coker Tire and ask for their Firestone bias tire in size 8.90x15(factory stock size) and they come in either the stock 3.5" or an optional 5" whitewall... the cost is around 225.00/tire.  Diamondback makes wonderful radial tires, but there is no radial equivalent, unless you want to put truck tires on which would not only look awful, but would rub the front fenders during turning maneuvers.

Jeff

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Brett,

There is a link below my signature to a very large list of Cadillac parts vendors. You may find some of them useful in your restoration endeavor.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE