News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How should a '37 V-12 sound?

Started by Ty, November 17, 2009, 07:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty

Hello,
I understand a V-12 should run quietly with a correct exhaust system installed. I have just installed a new single SS system having two mufflers and the output is truly very quiet (absolutely no tin sound). But, I'm curious how loud the engine should sound. I hear valves and a knock or tapping louder on the waterpump side. Don't know if it is the waterpump, piston, or valves. Other than that, the car runs very smooth - no vibration or knock can be felt at all on the valve covers. I have the hood and front fenders off and that may account for hearing louder noise. But the previous single muffler had holes in it and a very short partial tail pipe prior to this new system, and that may also have masked some of the noise that seems louder now. The oil was changed and the engine has run through about 4 gallons of fresh gas this week. There is no smoke at all. Prior to this it has used about 5 gallons of gas over the past four years. I hope someone can attach a sound bite of their V-12 running. If I can figure out how to do it, I will attach one for my engine if someone would like to hear it for evaluation. Just curious right now because I plan to take the engine to a shop this month for whatever attention it needs.
Thank you,
Ty Stinson
CLC22330   

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Ty,
I don't remember hearing a Cadillac V-12 run, but I have heard several OHV V-16's idling with the hoods open and they were all very quiet (just shy of completely silent) with no tapping or knocking noise.  Since the V-12 is the OHV V-16 with four fewer cylinders and a slightly larger bore, it should sound the same at the front although the exhaust sound might be different due to fewer cylinders firing.

Ty

Thank you Johan. That is perfect. I can't believe you found that. Valves sound the same but I have a knock on one side.
Many thanks,
Ty
CLC22330

Roger H

TY
I am in the process of rebuilding my v12, if any pictures of the internal parts or parts suppliers would help let me know.
I have included one picture, these 2 experts seem to know the v12 intimately
Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Ty on November 18, 2009, 07:03:19 PM
Valves sound the same but I have a knock on one side.

CLC22330

Ty,
If all of your valves and their hydraulic valve silencers are working as designed, they shouldn't make any noise at all.

Ty

Wow, look at those valve covers! By the way, they are in silver matt finish just like my '37. The photo is great news and documents the fact that perhaps the original finish was silve matt, not black with chrome ribs on top of the valve covers. I plan to have mine polished. Thanks for the information offer and I hope your car is well on its way.  Looks like I may need some information and parts soon. Thanks Roger and Rusty.
Ty

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

GUYS.... that picture is a highly detailed SHOW motor. The stock version didn't look anything like it, ESPECIALLY the valve covers. A little bit of mis-information seems to go a LONG way. If you want to be correct &  stock, pay no attention to that motor. If not, go for it. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Stinson

Hello Bob,
Do you think someone just took the paint off my valve covers? I have seen other engines like that, but then again they were show engine photos. Could it be that they were originally like that and later someone thought they might look good in black and started a trend?
Ty
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Stinson on November 23, 2009, 06:40:00 AM
Hello Bob,
Do you think someone just took the paint off my valve covers? I have seen other engines like that, but then again they were show engine photos. Could it be that they were originally like that and later someone thought they might look good in black and started a trend?
Ty

Ty, I've wondered about the valve covers on the V-12 and OHV V-16's for years and have posted on this board a couple of times to try to get a definitive answer as to whether they were originally all silver or ribbed black which in my opinion looks much better and is the way virtually all of the restored engines are done.  I've seen pictures of engines on stands in showrooms both ways and there is a picture in an ad called "Works of the Modern Masters" from 1930 with Mr. Seaholm standing beside a suspended V-16 and it has the plain metal valve covers.  I don't know if we'll ever know for sure which way they came or if they came one way first and then the other.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ty, I know you'e itching to keep your valve covers non painted. LOL. All the multi-cylinder cars I had were painted. If you're not going for judging , do it your way. No one would have started a "trend" to paint valve covers. The high $ cars were carefully researched to be correct. Again, don't copy show display engines & chassis. Production parts NEVER looked that good. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Roger H

Best of Luck to you TY, I have discovered a crack in rocker shaft part and have begun a search for a replacement.  If anybody has spare v12 rocker parts I could sure use some.
Thanks

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Stinson

Hello Roger,
When I get home I will send you a contact here in Maryland who may have the engine parts you need. He will be overhauling my engine as soon as I can get my brakes on and take it there. By the way, I still don't have a floor pan for the trunk area. I solved my dilemma with the valve covers though, I found a NOS set at Hershey painted black with NOS caps; and I will polish my originals so I can have them both ways.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Hello Roger,
Try Peter K. Sanders specializing in 1928-33 Cadillac and LaSalle Parts - Former Charles H. Selick Collection.

petesparts@clcpotomacregion.org

You can also view his parts list there.

or

petesanders@cox.net

His phone number is 703 356 2783

Good luck,
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Roger H

Well Ty,  Looks like I owe you one, 
I called Pete and he is checking but thinks he has one,  even if not he looks like a great source
Sorry about the floor pan,  I check ebay regularly if anything comes up I will pass it on to you
He sounds like a very knowledgable person, great person to have working on the engine

Thanks again

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa