News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Correct heater/defroster switch for '40 LaSalle: approximate reasonable price?

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], December 16, 2009, 07:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barry [CLC17027]

This is NOT a solicitation for parts!  Rather, it's a survey/poll as to what members believe a reasonable price would be for the correct heater/defroster switch for a '40 LaSalle.  I know where there's an intact item, and that means the plastic bezel (if that's the right word) and the plated handle/knob are all there.  Moreover, it's been verified as the correct item by a member who has a '40 and has the correct switch installed in his car.

So what I would like to know is this: given that the switch and attendant hardware are intact and in good shape, what do you feel is a fair/reasonable price?  This may bias opinions, but I've heard a minimum value of $75--and that from a reliable vendor who offered one minus the plastic part but in good shape otherwise.

Thanks.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

buicksplus

A switch that is a legit LaSalle or Cadillac accessory can be hard to find.  I have one on my 40 LaSalle 50 series, but it looks like a standard Western Auto sort of item, probably not original.  There are repro items for this switch around.

I have another switch for a Model 52 that was quite a bit more elaborate, including controls for the under seat fans and the defroster blower. 

No doubt you might find a part like this for a few dollars at a swap meet -- after looking through piles of parts for hours or days or even years.  But if someone has one known to be a legit LaSalle part in good condition with decent pictures I would think $100 would be reasonable.

How much do you want it and how much are you willing to pay?  That's what it usually comes down to. 

Beware soliciting rare parts on forum (I know you are not looking for one right now).  Folks will claim to have the part and then disappear with the money. 
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700