News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power steering modification for 1931 Cadillac V 12 Model 370

Started by Paul Richfield, December 06, 2009, 09:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Richfield

I am looking at the possibilities of fitting power steering to a V 12 1931.If anybody has knowledge of a successful conversion I would be very gratefull if they could contact me.
I know that this is not very original but the owner lives in the South of France and those of you who are familar with this area will know that straight roads are a rarity round here-it is very mountainous and the corners are very tight-sometimes needing several manoeuvres to get round,and all this going uphill! Many thanks for your help. Paul. (paul.richfield@cegetel.net)

Otto Skorzeny

What's the difference between the South of France and southern France?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Philippe M. Ruel

Well, it will need heavy modifications, either on steering gear or steering linkage (or both if you wish to go to a rack-and-pinion system).
It will need adaptation of an hydraulic pump bolted on the engine, too, with belt, hoses and so on.

I am used to driving my '52 w/o power steering uphill Montpellier (central southern - or center of south of, sorry Forrest - France). I never had any trouble with hard cornering, the steeering wheel is large enough to make steering smooth. Some friends go to "massif central" small roads and villages with cars like a 1925 Rolls-Royce, a 1928 Willys or a 1930 Ford Model A without experiencing many inconvenients.

If you wish to do this modification, my only advice will be "make it as visible as possible" so that the next owner knows which part is original and which one is not. Of course, you will keep all original parts aside.

Southern France (or south of France...) is about 600 miles wide from Bordeaux to Nice, where exactly is this car ? I may have some good addresses to give you around my place if it's in the neighborhood.
1952 60 Special in France.

jim thomas

Suggest you contacft RPM out of Darset hot Springsaccross I10 from pallmsSprings ca.  JIM

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Jim,

Do you have any more information about RPM Engineering?

What is their specialty? Do they have a website? etc.

A search of the internet yielded dozens of companies all over America and the world with the name RPM Engineering but I found none in Palm Springs, CA.

I have the following information on my list of vendors but I would like to include as much as possible.

RPM Engineering                               
877-329-1886

Thanks a lot.
fward

Chris Conklin

I believe Jim meant to say "Desert Hot Springs", very near Palm Springs.
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

Found it on the H.A.M.B.

RPM Engineering                            Rack and pinion conversion kits, power disc brake conversion kits
22400 Lamel Road
Desert Hot Springs
California 92241
(760) 329-1886  (877) 329-1886
RMetcalf760@aol.com

Ron Metcalf - owner
fward

Joe

I've even got a better idea! Let's drop in a 350 Chevy from a "61 Cad......and a 6 volt electric fuel pump from a '41 Convertible Coupe!!!

47bigcadillac

I live in Japan where the roads are a lot more narrow than Southern France and can drive my 1932 v8 fine.
Granted, I need to slow down quite a bit before taking a turn but the steering wheel is a lot larger than any post-war cadillac. I am not Hulk either.

I think the owner is looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Just tell him " Ce n'est pas necessaire"
R. Brandys

1932 355B  5 pass Coupe,  Fleetwood          
1935 LaSalle Coupe  5077
1947 Club Coupe      6207

JIMI

PAINT ALL OF THE POWER STEERING UPGRADED PARTS RED SO THAT THERE IS NO CONFUSION .

jmeijer

An other alternative would be to use an electrical power steering setup from this company (or similar):

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/index.php?p=0&lang=uk

They claim to "not modify the steering ratio, and do an almost invisible installation behind the dashboard".

Just a suggestion, I have never worked with these people, just read an positive article about them in a German Classic Car magazine.

Regards,

Jan