News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

HELP!!! 1950 steering column removal/disassemble

Started by Stewart Homan, January 20, 2010, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewart Homan

I'm just stripping the column out of the 50 convertible I'm doing - I have the wheel off but I can't see how the turn signal assembly part of it comes off to the access the gear shift assembly/inner 'column' and then removal from the car!

All and any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stew

Stewart Homan

Does anyone have a 50 shop manual they can scan the page from?

Thanks,

Stew

Otto Skorzeny

Stew,

The Modified chapter has many shop manuals, parts manuals and other literature posted online.

I didn't see a 1950 shop manual but they have a '49 and a '51.

Here's thelink:

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on January 21, 2010, 09:21:50 AM
Stew,

The Modified chapter has many shop manuals, parts manuals and other literature posted online.

I didn't see a 1950 shop manual but they have a '49 and a '51.

Here's thelink:

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/

Cheers Forrest!

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's a 50 turn signal housing ready for removal after taking off top nut, which is required to remove the steering wheel. Are you removing the complete oem column to replace with a custom ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on January 24, 2010, 02:58:50 PM
Here's a 50 turn signal housing ready for removal after taking off top nut, which is required to remove the steering wheel. Are you removing the complete oem column to replace with a custom ?

Hi Jeff,

I'm removing it to repaint it - I have stripped it to the point of the one in the picture - I can't work out how that plate comes off - it seems to be on a ball race, well three ball bearings - there is access of sorts to the Philips screws below the plate but it doesn't seem like these hold the top plate on!

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stew

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's a 48 column innards. My 49 shop manuel only shows removal from the signal housing up. I sold the 50 shift collar because they are known to crack. Vic Brincat will respond to this having just painted his 48 column. Thanks Vic.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

vicbrincat

Stew,

I am responding based on the experience I have on a '48. I am not 100% sure if they are the same as your '50. Based on the picture in the thread, it looks like they are.

First of all, it is not necessary to remove the plate to have the housing painted. In fact if there are no issues with the plate sliding, all it will need is a good lubrication for the bearings. I just sprayed mine with a lithium based white grease...it seems to work just fine.

You may need to rotate the plate to get at the philips screws unde neath for removing the swith housing from the rest of the column.
But unless there is a very compelling reason to remove this plate and risk damaging or losing the ball bearings, I would avoid it.

As I mentioned if painting is the objective, this can be done without removing this plate.

Vic

Jeff Maltby 4194

Thanks Vic. Are you saying you left your column in the car to repaint ? Here's a picture of the 50 inner shaft, being very different from the 48.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

vicbrincat

Not quite.
The only thing that was left on the car was the center shaft. The entire column was otherwise remove. Let me dig through my notes. I may have written down the step by step.

vicbrincat

I did find my notes...but I'm not sure if they will be very usefull. If necessary, I will type them into this thread..pls let me know.

Stewart Homan

Quote from: Vic Brincat, CLC# 15907 on January 25, 2010, 12:06:51 PM
I did find my notes...but I'm not sure if they will be very usefull. If necessary, I will type them into this thread..pls let me know.

Thanks guys, the reason for removal is to both paint and strip apart, clean lube and rebuild - the car is pretty much completely apart so I wanted to pull the column and remove the steering gear box for cleaning/painting (I'm not going to strip the box!)

Thanks,

Stew

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hello Stewart,
If you don't get any joy on the forum, I have a 51 manual and a parts manual covering a lot of years, when I get a minute I'll have a dig through them and see if there is anything in 'em. You can check them out when you pop round for the Hydramatic.
Phil

Stewart Homan

Quote from: PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192 on January 26, 2010, 01:23:42 PM
Hello Stewart,
If you don't get any joy on the forum, I have a 51 manual and a parts manual covering a lot of years, when I get a minute I'll have a dig through them and see if there is anything in 'em. You can check them out when you pop round for the Hydramatic.
Phil

That would be great Phil!

I'm filming at Park Royal on Thursday - If I can get away during the day I'll do it then, if not Fri/Sat!

Cheers,

Stew