News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1936 Cadillac 85 Rear brake block

Started by Roger H, February 21, 2010, 04:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger H

Hello

I am searching for wheel cylinders and the brass blocks that bolt on to them  for a 36 85 series.  I found these blocks ( see picture) that look the same for a 1962 Corvette master cylinder.
Does  anybody know of a good source for these parts?  Or know if a 62 corvette master cyl block is the same as a 36 Cad rear cyl block?  I know it is a long shot but you never know.

Thanks

Roger

Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Steve Passmore

You need to know the size of the hole and the size of the thread for the pipe flare fitting Roger, As long as these match up its OK to use them, you may have to change the type of flare though.  There was a company on eBay selling this stuff at one time and they knew all the thread sizes ect, I bought several from them for a Buick brake conversion I was doing.
Steve
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Classic

Looks like the brass block and bolt will work, assuming they are the right size.  You may need to round the end of the block by the bolt for clearance.  Another alternative is to use a different wheel cylinder.  The original type is not readily available as you have probably learned.  However, I believe NAPA 13368 & 13369 will work.  They bolt in but don't use the brass blocks.  The rear axle brake pipes connect directly to them.  You may want to install new rear axle brake pipes rather than trying to bend the original ones to work (maybe you're doing this anyhow).  NAPA 9344 & 9345 should also work on the front, however they are a 1/4" longer overall and may have to be trimmed slightly (trimming won't affect operation).  Also, the hose fitting on these front cylinders is different so you will need custom made brake hoses (about $25 ea.).  In addition, here's a recommended resource that may have everything you need:

Brake Materials & Parts Inc
800 Sherman Boulevard,
Fort Wayne, IN 46808
(260) 426-3331
WHOLESALE, RETAIL, Specializing In Antique-Vintage-Classic-Obsolete-Unique & Hard-to-Find, BONDING-RIVETING-REBUILDING, Drum-Rotor Machining, custom made brake hoses.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Roger H

Thanks a lot for all the great info,  Their are a few different directions I could go.  I appreciate all the part numbers.
I will do some more checking .

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa