News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where to get insurance

Started by Vic Stanley, March 18, 2010, 01:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Stanley

I just purchased a 1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille with 4800 miles on it. Original tires ,belts hoses etc. It is really beautiful. My insurance company will insure it but will not pay much if it is in a wreck. Is there a vintage company that will insure a car for what it is worth. I am going to get the correct license plates.
You should see it ,It is a real beauty. It passed inspection and is ready to go. Had to replace the Vinyl roof but that is all it needed. The eight track works,now i have to find eight tracks

Any help would be appreciated. :) :) :) :)

Vic Stanley

psafootballcom@comcast.net

Carfreak

I swear by Hagerty Insurance, they encourage owners to drive their vehicles and don't limit by mileage as some other companies seem to do.   They are very active & in the forefront on automotive legislation and how it affects us vintage owners.  They have a great 'road service' program too.
www.hagerty.com     

JC Taylor is another well respected, long time vintage vehicle insurance provider     www.jctaylor.com

And Grundy too   www.grundy.com

I always have a hard time explaining the difference between stated value and agreed value.  You need to know/understand the difference.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Greg Powers

Depending on the amount of driving you intend to do in this Cadillac, you might also sit down and discuss your coverage  with your agent. Sometimes with pictures and agreed upon value, you can receive the protection you desire with your regular agent. Just another option.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Art Director

Quote from: CarFreak on March 18, 2010, 02:12:08 PM
JC Taylor is another well respected, long time vintage vehicle insurance provider     www.jctaylor.com
And JC Taylor has supported the CLC financially for many years with their full-page display ads in The Self-Starter and on the back cover of the International Membership Directory!
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

jeff1956

I have had Hagerty for 10 years now with no issues.  The representatives I always speak to when I call in are always very professional and nice to me.  They've never had an issue with changing the agreed value on my car...I asked them to increase it from 16K to 22K about a year ago and they had no issues in doing so.  They are a really great company to work with and like was previously stated they allow you to drive your cars for pleasure driving and some companies do not.  I drive my 56 when I feel like it and I know I'm protected if I chose to.

Jeff

Alan R. Harris CLC#1513

I swear by Hagerty. I had a car destroyed in a flood a few years ago and had no trouble collecting the full agreed value.

Anyone can be helpful until you have a claim. A dear friend of mine had an accident in his 1959 DeSoto convertible. His company sent him a lowball check and tried to walk away. They are one of the better known collector insurors. I cannot name them here.

When you need to chose a company, ask people who actually have needed to collect.

P.S. 8-Tracks turn up at the Salvation Army and other thrift stores and flea markets.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I also vote for Hagarty.

Many "run of the mill" insurers (State Farm, Allstate, Geico, etc.) will be glad to sell you a policy at a "stated value" -- but when it's time to collect, especially after a total loss, they suddenly
draw a blank.  You'll be asked for appraisals, documentation, comparable data (cars like yours)
and more run around.

Go with a company who insures collectible cars as their main business and understands the hobby
and the value of these vehicles.  Several have been named in the previous posts.

When you have an "agreed value" policy with a company like that -- and your car gets hit
by a bolt of lightning -- you get a check for that amount -- no ifs, and's or buts.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Carfreak

Quote from: Alan R. Harris CLC#1513 on March 18, 2010, 07:15:17 PM

8-Tracks turn up at the Salvation Army and other thrift stores and flea markets.

Haven't seen them @ S/A hardly anymore but always available on Fleabay.   :)
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

TonyZappone #2624

I have been with J.C. Taylor for 45 years.  I had one claim for $22000 for acid rain.  No arguments.  My choice of restorers.  Treated like royalty.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Fred Zwicker #23106

I have my car insurance with Hagerty and was formerly with JC Taylor for many years.  I switched to Hagerty due to their friendlier policy regarding casual use (not necessary to  be in a parade or club function like some insurers state).  However never had a claim with either company so cannot say for sure which is better.

Some companies are not geared for antique car coverage and do not understand how we baby our cars and how few miles are actually driven.  On my Homeowner's insurance I had an "Umbrella Policy" for about an $800 annual premium.  This year the company that wrote the policy (a CA company) sent a notice that they were no longer writing umbrella policies and sent paperwork from another company with their letter.  The second company had red, white and blue stationery that was almost identical to the first, other than a name and address change and I felt that I was dealing with the same company at a higher cost.

The annual premium with the new company had increased by $150 and a new application was required. I completed their application and listed my 6 antique cars which are stored in our car museum (see www.tpcarcollection.com) - see pictures below.  About 2 weeks later I received a letter from the company that the premium now was being increased to about $1900, due to the antique cars, and my check was returned.  Since the cars are seldom driven, I called the local agent who was going to check the reason for such a large increase. So far no answer.   I called Geico, who advertises that they sell Umbrella Insurance, but they do so only if they have the regular auto insurance.

I have my regular Auto & Homeowner's Insurance with Travelers and they issued a similar umbrella (same coverage) for $581.  I don't know if Hagerty sells umbrella coverage, but plan to find out, as cannot justify a jump in premium from $800 to $1900 for the same exact coverage provided on my Homeowner's Policy for $581.  (I have had no claims and no driving violations for the past 20 years or more).

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Bill Podany #19567

Hello members,

I own two Vintage Cadillac's; they are both 100 point award winning cars from the Senior and Premier Classes of the AACA, CLC, and CCCA.  Unfortunately, these cars have experienced several misfortunes and severe damage, all uncontrollable to its owner.  I have even experienced personal emergency hospitalization resulting from unfortunate unloading experiences with my transportation rig at Meadow Brook.  Engine fire engulfed my 55 Eldorado.  My insurance company was Hagerty. and they were fantastic living up to the requirements of my policy.  I am forever thankful for such a reputable company, and I highly recommend Hagerty to vintage car owners looking to protect their investment in the event of uncontrollable happenstance.  Feel free to contact me personally for more details.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Vic Stanley

Thanks to all. I called Hagerty and WOW were they nice and professional. Am filling out the application and will soon be insured by them. My Cadillac will be safe to drive and not worry about anything. Thanks to all

Vic Stanley ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D