News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Ignition wires

Started by vicbrincat, March 14, 2010, 09:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

Can anyone recommend a a supplier that can make custom ignition wire sets?

The set up bought for my '48 are cheap and way too long. They lay on the cross-over exhaust and melt..:-(

I have the correct boot for the distributer and the sparkplug...so I will use my original which are in amazingly good shape.
I just need a decent set of wires each  made to my specific  lenght.

Thanks!

Vic

jeff1956

That's the 331 right?  Sorry I'm not a 1940's expert.  You should be able to go to any parts store and buy a set for say a 1957 Cadillac 365 engine.  They should fit since they share the same basic design as the 331 engines.  That's what I have to do for my 1956 since they no longer have a listing for 56, but they do for 57.

Jeff

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: jeff1956 on March 15, 2010, 01:08:20 AM
That's the 331 right? 
No Jeff, the 331 came for 1949...
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

vicbrincat

Thanks Jeff and Roger.

You are right Roger, it's a 346 ci  L-head or flathead.

I would do that, Jeff and replace the boots but I usually find that "off the shelf" sets are always too long anyway. That's why I wanted them custom made.

Alternatively, if I had a source of supplies such as teh crimp tool and terminals, I would make my own set.

Vic

Carfreak

Quote from: Vic Brincat, CLC# 15907 on March 15, 2010, 08:18:36 AM

Alternatively, if I had a source of supplies such as teh crimp tool and terminals, I would make my own set.

Vic

Have you tried Napa?   I've bought wire, terminal ends and made my own for several vehicles. 

Search:  'spark plug terminal' at Napaonline.com to see samples of products they offer.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Guidematic

Hi Vic,

Years ago I used to make custom length ignition wiring. In the shop where I worked, we had a roll of hypalon wiring, which I think would be the same as what you need. Along with that there was a variety of ends, both for the plugs and distributor.

The wiring was easy to make, and the correct crimping tool came with the set. I know CF has been able to obtain a roll of wiring in recent past. It should still be available. And what's left on the roll would serve for future projects.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Greg McDonnell

Hi Vic,

Try this link:  http://www.lectriclimited.com/  I got them to make a new set (date coded) for my '65 Imperial convertible.  The boots and the wires all look just the way they did when Chrysler built the car.  They do all sorts of thing like new wiring harnesses, battery cables with the correct ends, etc. in addition to custom ignition wires.  Contact them and see if they can help you.

Best regards,

Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I bought an excellent set of cut-them-yourself silicone rubber copper core Mallory cables for my 1940 LaSalle off of Ebay. The seller's name was chimptoast. I used spray silicone to take the modern looking lettering off the wires. They work very well and look good on my old flathead.

vicbrincat

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Alan was the set you bought 8 mm or 7mm?

Does it matter?  Will the distributor sockets take either size? The spark plug end should be no problem.

My original boots were designed for 7 mm. Not sure if they will fit on 8mm wire.

In addition to being too long, the set of wires I have are generating a lot of radio interference. Although they are the original style, I think I will use modern wire which has noise suppression.

Thanks

Glen

Quote from: Vic Brincat, CLC# 15907 on March 17, 2010, 12:50:09 AM
In addition to being too long, the set of wires I have are generating a lot of radio interference. Although they are the original style, I think I will use modern wire which has noise suppression.

Or you could use resistor plugs. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

J. Friedman

Try The Brillman Company, 2328 Pepper Road, Mount Jackson VA 22842.  tel: 888-274-5562 or 540-477-4112.   www brillman com  According to the 48-49 CLC Authenticity Manual, if you want your wires to be authentic looking, make sure you specify that the spark plug ends are L-shaped and without rubber boots.  This firm made a perfect set of wires for my '49 not long ago.

Another source is Cole's Ignition and Electric, Rochester NY, but I don't have their address etc. handy.

Jay Friedman

vicbrincat

Thanks Jay.

It looks like I have made a mistake assuming that the set I got with the car are correct.

So the plug end is a 90 degree while the distributer end is a 180?

Does anyone have a picture that shows the correct style at both ends of the wire.

The bought a set (which were supposed to be the correct style for 48) and they did NOT have a 90 degree plug end.

What do you mean by no rubber boot on the plug?

Vic

Carfreak

:)

Otto Skorzeny

Here's what they look like
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

J. Friedman

Vic,

No rubber boot means the L-shaped (90 degree) metal tip at the spark plug end should have no rubber insulation--that it is bare-- as in the photos in the above postings.

Jay

J. Friedman

Forgot to mention, also, that at the distributor end the wires go straight into the distributor cap with the usual rubber boot (insulation). 

Jay

Carfreak

at the distributor end the wires go straight into the distributor cap with the usual rubber boot (insulation). 

Jay

Jeff Maltby 4194

I bought my 49 wires from Cole's Ignition. They came with the proper spark plug ends but I had to cut the wires to proper length and install their cheap distributor clips. I removed one wire and the clip got stuck inside the D.cap so I went to Napa and purchased their quality crimp on ends but their crimp tool cost $48...Whew ! My crimp tool is currently in Mass on loan, so I can have it sent to anyone else that might need it ? I'd like to get it back someday of course.  :<)

Note. I can see a 331 V-8 engine having the 90 degree plug ends but not a flathead ? Which is correct ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

J. Friedman

Jeffo,

Don't know about pre-'48 flatheads and I'm no expert on '48s either, but the guys who are '48 experts on the 48-49 Authenticity Manual committiee specified L-shaped bootless spark plug connectors for '48s. 

Jay