News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Sedan DeVille 6239DX decklid gutter problems

Started by Eric Falk, April 07, 2010, 03:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Falk

During the last rain I found more water in the trunk than on the car.  I climbed inside, closed the lid and had my wife spray water around the decklid.  Low and behold I discovered the gutter for the weather-stripping was riddled with holes from rot.  To make matters worse, someone ( >:D) before me used body putty to seal the holes.  Obviously it was a temporary fix that may have caused more metal rust/rot.

While I'm fixing the problem I decided to replace the decklid rubber bumpers that are on the horizontal and vertical planes.  I found them at Steele Rubber but they state only two are required; my car has four.  Does anyone know how many should be on my car?  The ones I have appear to be original, but I don't know for sure.  I've attached a photo for reference.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

J. Gomez

Quote from: Eric Falk on April 07, 2010, 03:26:05 PM
During the last rain I found more water in the trunk than on the car.  I climbed inside, closed the lid and had my wife spray water around the decklid.  Low and behold I discovered the gutter for the weather-stripping was riddled with holes from rot.  To make matters worse, someone ( >:D) before me used body putty to seal the holes.  Obviously it was a temporary fix that may have caused more metal rust/rot.

While I'm fixing the problem I decided to replace the decklid rubber bumpers that are on the horizontal and vertical planes.  I found them at Steele Rubber but they state only two are required; my car has four.  Does anyone know how many should be on my car?  The ones I have appear to be original, but I don't know for sure.  I've attached a photo for reference.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Eric,

I have two on the left and 2 on the right side same areas as yours on my 6219. Those are held by a small screw #10 x20 if I recall correctly.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Eric Falk

Thanks Jose.

I'll order four.  They should be here about the time I'm done repairing the gutter.