News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Original color spray cans for '56

Started by Charlie Petty, March 28, 2010, 09:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Petty

I have a two-fold problem with some spray cans I bought from Tower Paints.  When I apply a second coat (Dawn Gray enamel) over itself, the first coat krinkles up, literally like krinkle paint.  Previously purchased paint from Tower did not have this problem.  It appears they used a solvent that attacks a dry coat.  Any experience with this?

Secondly, I discovered that Tower Paints suffered a fire and is out of commission.  Any other spray can suppliers that someone would recommend? 

Thanks,
Charlie

Carfreak

Find a local automotive paint wholesaler in your area.   They can mix (or match) your color and even put it in spray cans for you. 

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,108312.0.html

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Jim Sparrow

I ran into the same krincle problem when repainting a 1950s refrigerator. Then I read the instructions on the paint can which said wait at least 7 days before applying a second coat. I don't know why you have to wait so long between coats but it worked. No more krincles.    -Jim

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Go to a few of your local auto body supply stores. When you find one that has the special Chroma camera you can stop there. They take a picture of your paint, plug the camera into a computer, it prints out the color mix to the paint man and they mix the color for you. I had it match 49 year old paint perfectly.
You have to see what kind of paint you have on your car. It could be Lacquer, Enamel, single stage or two stage paints. Take a small rag and put some rubbing compound on it, find a small area under the rear quarter and see if the paint comes off with the compound. If it does, it is usually lacquer or single stage or clear. Clear coat you can usually look at and tell. Years ago they did a lot of cheap painting with enamel. The problem is that you can't shoot anything on top of enamel as it will lift. You need to research paint and then see what sealer you can put on top of the enamel that will accept the type of paint that you want to use. Or, strip the paint, down to metal then choose what you want to use. If not and you are still unsure, ask the paint shop what is on your car.

Jack

Charlie Petty

The car has all original laquer.  I am painting a small area with color-code spray can, which was only available in enamel.  I can get to look good enough on this all original driver.
I tried waiting at least a week as Jim mentioned, and it seemed to work. 
Thanks all.