News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

67 transmission kickdown replacement

Started by JB #21196, June 25, 2010, 08:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB #21196

The square plastic pin broke off, so I need a solution. Can anyone offer sugestions for aftermarket parts or a factory mod? B&M 20297 is an aftermarket TH400 kickdown, does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for the input.

John Bryan #21196

The Tassie Devil(le)

Here in  Australia, any vehicle that uses a TH400 has a switch that is actuated by the Accelerator Pedal.

The Holden used a slider switch that was mounted inside the passenger compartment, at the pedal lever, and never seen one fail.

Why GM in USA put it at the Carby, where engine heat actually causes them to fail beats me.

Nothing wrong with placing a Micro Switch anywhere that it switches when the pedal is pushed to the floor.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

JB #21196

Thanks Bruce. GM eventually made the pedal switch, and perhaps that's what I should modify to. They're cheap, too, around $20 and available.

The Tassie Devil(le)

You're welcome John,

Holden here is GM, and the TH400 was used from 1972 in the HQ models with the 350 SBC engine, and only the internal switch position was ever used.

Maybe Australia was far more advanced in protecting electrical components from under-hood heat.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ted in Olympia WA

The 1967 is a switch pitch transmission and a double switch, a standard 400 switch will not work.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

JB,
67 is a one year only and as Ted says it is a dual contact switch. One for the switch pitch solonoid and the second for the kick down detent.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Glen

Bruce Roe has a mod for this and hopefully he will chime in. 

I hear these switch pitch transmissions were also popular with the GM motor home crowd and they have some solutions.  But I don’t have any URLs to send you. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Steve W

There's one on eBay right now!

Item number: 260626154697

Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Ted in Olympia WA

That's the one.  Now you just have to wait 7 days to see what it goes for; should be in the $150 range.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Cadillac Tim

I can rebuild your transmission switch for $75 plus return shipping.  Any questions you can email me or call me during regular business hours at 864-352-3306.  Tim  www.cadillactim.com

bcroe

I also recommend the inside, slide kickdown switch.  However, something is needed to activate the switch pitch function.  There are a number of ways to do this, by various people, and depending on your purpose.  My 5 cars use an electronic switch pitch controller, intended mainly for street drivers.  The claim is, it makes more use of the converter high stall performance mode for part throttle situations.  You can see pictures of it and an operational flow diagram on my PHOTOBUCKET site.  Bruce Roe

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/bcroe/

(that is a lower case "L"71, not an upper case "i"71)

click on an Album
  click on a picture to enlarge + description

JB #21196

Thanks Bruce. Your photosets are great.

Where does one get the vacuum-activated kickdown (pictured)? What was the cost?

bcroe

You can get the slide type kickdown (above the gas pedal) out of about any big block TH400 trans car or truck the General made in the 70s or 80s, except Cad.  With that in place, you could choose the electronic controller for stator (switch pitch) controller.  Write me at bcroe@juno.com      Bruce Roe