News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

oil

Started by larry#16625, July 14, 2010, 07:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry#16625

my 1950 cadillac uses about a quart of oil every five hundred miles . is this normal? should be using any type of additive to help? Thanks

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like there is wear in the engine, and the Oil Rings aren't doing their intended job.

Do a complete Compression Check and let us know what the readings are.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Shepherd

Usual good advice Bruce, but keep in mind a compression test will not reveal if the oil rings are gummed up not sealing and/or worn.

jim thomas

LARRY,I had a '57 chev that you couldn't keep penn oil in it for 500 miles. I swiched to a differerance brand and   BINGO my probems were gone   HTH  jim

larry #16625

this was a funeral home car and only has 67000 miles . mostly driven at a slow speed.larry

David King (kz78hy)

Maybe some aggressive driving might free up the rings.  I doubt it would do any harm and what fun!

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

buicksplus

In my opinion, a quart every 500 miles is not very much consumption for an old car, unless it is smoking severely and being a public nuisance.  Just keep your eye on the level and enjoy the car.  I doubt if there are any additives that would change the consumption much, though driving conditions might matter -- such as highway driving vs city driving.  I use 20-50 wt oil in my older cars, this might cut oil consumption a bit.

Repairing this condition would cost much more than the value added.  Wait until more problems occur (blown head gaskets, loss of power, or much higher oil consumption) and then do a complete rebuild -- including fresh bores, pistons and rings. 
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like the sudden change in driven style has caused the problem.

When buying an old car that has had an unknown usage, or been pampered, one needs to virtually re-run it in.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

You may also "loose" the oil at the crankshaft rear seal. Have a look under the car: if it's oily, the rear seal is at fault.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chris Conklin

We have very different cars, I know, but the owner's manual on my car states that a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles would be normal. I should also state that my car does not use a quart every 800-1000... and I'm a little worried about that.  ;)
Chris Conklin

Tom Magdaleno

In my opinion, a quart every 500 miles is not very much consumption for an old car, unless it is smoking severely and being a public nuisance.  Just keep your eye on the level and enjoy the car.  I doubt if there are any additives that would change the consumption much, though driving conditions might matter -- such as highway driving vs city driving.  I use 20-50 wt oil in my older cars, this might cut oil consumption a bit.

Repairing this condition would cost much more than the value added.  Wait until more problems occur (blown head gaskets, loss of power, or much higher oil consumption) and then do a complete rebuild -- including fresh bores, pistons and rings. 

My thoughts exactly.
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper