News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear Trunk Lock Emblem

Started by Jeff Wilk, August 01, 2010, 11:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Anybody know how to adjust the "flip up" Cadillac crest on the trunk lid lock of an early 70's Eldorado?  My original closes down to far, as does the NOS one I just bought.  Is there some adjustment available to these or.......?

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

TJ Hopland

Funny, I was just standing at the back of my 73 Eldo sending the family off on a camping trip and fiddled with mine for a minute or so pondering the same question.   My guess is they used fairly soft hardware that has just sort of worn.  IIRC its a rivet that acts as the pivot.  I also think the whole assembly is riveted on. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

I had the same problem on my '71 Eldorado.  I removed the entire emblem and carefully opened up the split in the pivoting piece so there was more resistance when opening and closing the emblem.  I never had a problem after that.  Use a thick-bladed screwdriver and lightly hammer into the slot a couple of times.  Make sure you place the emblem on some surface that won't mar the finish while doing this.

Chris Conklin

Not sure if it's the same mechanics of a late '60s emblem, but I don't think they changed the workings much over the years. The emblem mounts to the backing plate via a post in the upper left. I don't believe it would be riveted, you wouldn't be able to replace the emblem without buying an entire assembly. The post is inserted through the backing plate and is secured with a spring pressed behind the plate and attached to the post that holds it snug. The spring is fastened and twisted to apply the turning pressure to return the badge to the down position. If the spring is weak, the emblem will flop beyond the stop. The opposite would be true; If you flip the badge open to unlock the trunk and it doesn't stay against the crescent stop, you know the spring is definitely too weak. If the spring is in good condition you may be able to simply reinstall it with more tension.

I thought I had an old one apart to show you, but couldn't find it. The two pics here show 1) the badge in the up position against the crescent shaped stop 2) looking from above while badge is in the same open condition to show the stop on the backing plate (arrows). That stop sits in the space behind the badge and then rests under the crown to hold it in proper position. It is all dependent on the spring load of the emblem mounting to the backing plate. Replacing the spring is a pretty easy fix, but when removing the lock mechanism you'll be glad it's a Cadillac sized trunk! Hop in and get comfy!!  ;D
Chris Conklin