News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

37 tranny gasket issues?

Started by harvey b, August 02, 2010, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvey b

Hi All, on my 37 60 series caddy i have a very annoying leak from my tranny,i dont think the gasket was replaced when the previous owner had the engine rebuilt,i have never had the tranny out to check for the gasket?,if i heard correctly there is a gasket in between the tranny and the bellhousing,it is to allow the oil to flow back into the case,my question is how critical is this?,i have seen the sets on Ebay and they have 3 peices,also how hard is the case to take apart to put one in the tailshaft area,i hope it will just come apart,and is there a seal on the shaft where it goes into the clutch?. any help is appreciated. thanks Harvey b

Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

harry s

Harvey, The gasket between the trans and bellhousing is critical for leak control. There is no seal at the front of the transmission. The tail shaft housing comes off after the universal joint connection has been removed. There is a seal at the back of the tail shaft housing. I can't put my hands on the number for that seal at the moment, but I'm sure someone will have it handy. Harry Scott (4195)
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

harvey b

Thanks Harry,that is what i was hoping for,i had better get a gasket in ASAP,the leak is annoying as it seems to mark its spot everyplace i park ;D.i have been keeping an eye on the fluid level too,been adding 1/2 litre a year for the last 3 years,could have saved enough to pay for gaskets by now ???.  Thanks Harvey b

Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

markl

Harvey,
Don't know if you've been following the thread started by Jeff Maltby concerning rebuilding the transmission.  The fellow that posted the original photos and narrative is using a sealed bearing at the input shaft to address just the problem you are having.   I'm going to use the gasket (there was one there when I took it apart) but will probably switch to this different bearing as well.  Belt and suspenders!

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Harvey,

Just finished rebuilding the tranny in my 1937 LaSalle. The gasket everyone sells, that I found, is for the 1938 on up and is incorrect. I finally used silicone sealer and no leaks to date.

The top shifter is a pain in the butt to remove and install, but I got to tell you once I replaced all the bearings, bushings, needle bearings and such the transmission is sooooooooo much quieter.

A side note, you might check to make sure the gasket that seals the top shifter to the tranny is not the culprit. That is what started me on the transmission adventure.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

harvey b

Hi Mark and John,i read the tranny rebuild post,it is a little more then i want to do now ???,the front bearing looks like it would come out without to much trouble,any one have the part number for it?,John,where is the top shifter seal,what does it look like and where can i find one,as mine looks to be leaking more at the top of it too?,when my gaskets arrive i will post a picture so i can be sure i have the right one. Thanks Harvey b

Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

Jay Friedman

You must have the gasket between the front of the transmission as well as the sealed front bearing, as they each prevent a leak from a different place.  Both can be bought from Northwest Transmissions 800-327-1955.  Other sources are Olson's Gaskets 360-871-1207 for the 3-piece gasket set and Olcar Bearings 910-693-3324 for the front sealed bearing. 

Note that besides the seal at the back of the transmission there is a gasket between the rear (tail) housing and the transmission case that is included in the gasket set.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Harvey,

The front bearing Grp # is 20.0270, part # 954 105. My CR bearing catalog says this is a CR 6208-ZNJR.

Hope this helps

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series