News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Front Coil Springs 40's Large Bodied Cars

Started by TMoore - NTCLC, October 04, 2010, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMoore - NTCLC

Does anyone happen to know or have a way to look up a TRW or Eaton number for front coil springs for the large bodied Cadillacs of the 1940's?  I am working on a 1942 series 67 and have all the front end parts except the coil springs and insulators.  I know that there are a couple of vendors that offer springs, but they seem to indicate one size fits all, and I would really hate to put springs on that were designed for the smaller cars since the 67 series is the longest wheel base of all of the series.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

T. Moore

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Warren Rauch

Check your 1942 shop manual page 142. The spring rate for all but the Comm.Chas. is 375 # per inch of compression. The loads vary from 1950# to 2175 # (your car) per spring.That means the springs are different lengths ,but 2175-1950 divided by 375 =less than a 1/2 inch difference from smallest to longest. The standard hieght variation for the front spring is 4 1/2 to 5 1/4inch in the car  , that is greater than the spring variations. Warren

Bill Ingler #7799

TMoore - NTCLC

Thanks - for the tips - I have sent requests to both of these vendors. 

You know, Warren, I have looked at the spring specs in manual, and until you made it clear, it never dawned on me how they actually differed.