News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

49 Fleetwood hydroelectric wiring questions

Started by mhowlett, October 05, 2010, 10:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhowlett

After giving it much thought as to keep hydroelectric or go to manual windows,I decided to see how bad the hydroelectric system is.Windows are all currently in the down pos. resivoir still has fluid in it[maybe 50 years old].My first question is how does the wiring hook up to the pump?From the starter?Battery?Any help would be greatly apprieciated.Thanks in advance.      Mike Howlett

Philippe M. Ruel

On my '52, a heavy gauge wire goes from the positive battery post, directly to the positive post of hydraulic pump relay.
From the same pump post, a thinner wire feeds the harness through a circuit breaker bolted to the firewall, passenger side.

The system schematics is in the shop manual.

I can take pictures if you wish, as my car engine compartment is currently stripped.

1952 60 Special in France.

mhowlett

I have a 49 shop manual,it shows all other wiring in the car but nothing for hydroelectric system? Mike

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Mike,

Here's the wiring diagram you need. It's for 1953, but it should be the same. Only difference being that the 53's were on a 12 Volt system and the 49's were 6Volt. Disregard the parts that mention Top Controls. This was only for convertibles.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Philippe M. Ruel

I took these 2 pictures today.

First picture : pump is seen from front of the car
Right of picture : On the relay post, you can see the heavy gauge (black) wire from the positive battery post ("Battery Hydr-Feed Wire" on the diagram) and the 14-gauge red-cross-tracer wire (14RXT) that feeds the rest of the system through the circuit breaker.
Top of picture : on top of the pump, a braided ground strap (left of motor on diagram).
Far right of picture : on the other relay post, the 16- gauge green-cross-tracer wire (16GXT) is not currently plugged. It brings back current from the switches when pump action is needed.

Second picture shows things from above, same point of view as on the diagram.
Right : same thing as first picture, from above pump.
Left : rigid link from pump relay to pump motor (drawn in dotted line on the diagram).

HTH
1952 60 Special in France.

mhowlett

Thanks for all your help the system looks much more simple than I thought.I have two clomplete sets of rams and two pumps just need to test and see if I have any good parts.                      Mike