News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need help installing new door weatherstripping on a 38 LaSalle

Started by tchesney, November 25, 2010, 11:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchesney

Has anyone here ever installed new weatherstripping on a 38 LaSalle door?  I've got all the correct parts, but I'm at a loss how to install it.  I have new clips that clamp around the door gasket.  Do I install the clamps first, then put the gasket in and crimp them down, or crimp them on the gasket first then install?  I'm hoping someone here has done this before and can lend out a few tips!

I've got the bottom of the doors weatherstripping figured out and installed.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Chesney
Tim Chesney
Union, Mississippi

Phil Taylor

Tim

Having just gone thru the same thing on my 38 6118 you will fine it a lot easier to place the retainers into the door and then install the rubber and lightly crimp the retainers as you go.  NOTE:   Try not to over tension the rubber.  You will also have to trim it in a couple places to get it the laydown properly around the tight curves.

Phil Taylor
Clarksville, TN

Tom Beaver

Tim ....  As Phil says, place the retainers in the door first then crimp the retainers as you go.  I also masked off a strip along the door where the weather strip goes and used 3M weatherstrip adhesive between the retainers to help retain the weather strip.  I didn't have to use as many retainers on the straight sections of the door this way, which helps if you have a limited supply of retainers.

Tom Beaver