News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mineral engine oil vs. sinthetic

Started by LM 25575, December 20, 2010, 08:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

All the big names in cams and such make a pre lube for the cams and an additive for the first batch of oil.   I dont remember which brand I used on my last new engine but I got it from my machine shop.  It was a little pouch of goo for the cam and a small bottle of stuff for the oil.  I ended up having the engine apart for another reason a few thousand miles after I rebuilt it and the cam still looked new. 

For the rest of the assembly I have become a big fan of Lucas oil additive.  Its meant to be an additive but I noticed a few shops using it straight as an assembly lube and started using it myself.  Its a really sticky stuff that seems to stay on parts really well and because its made as an additive you know it will easily and safely flush out and mix with the regular oil when the engine is started.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, but what would be compatible with Synthetic Oil?

No good using what I am using now, as that is compatible with Mineral Oil.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Both the Lucas additive and the break in stuff I used said it works well with all oils including synthetic.   Im trying to remember what brand the stuff was, I am thinking it was Crane or Comp.

TJ Hopland

Im pretty sure it was Comp....  The black packet seems right.

I seem to remember I paid about $15 for both. Looking at their site now I dont see anything about using it with synthetic so I must have asked the shop and they told me it did not matter.

I did check the Lucas site and theirs does say works with any oil.

Dave Shepherd

I use, as mentioned, Lucas break in additive/ZDDP for engine assy but regular oil on the cylinder walls and rings.  Also use ZDDP 1 oz per qt. on a regular basis.

dadscad

Using an extended drain interval synthetic oil, even if the extended change mileage is not reached in one years time, it is still recomemded to change the oil and filter every 12 months regardless of mileage. Amsoil recomends one year or 25,000 mile oil changes for "normal" service, whichever occurs first.

Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille