News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Seatbelt Retractor Cover Replacement, '68 Eldorado

Started by Perry, December 12, 2010, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

Please help!  Trying to figure out how to install a new seatbelt retractor cover on my '68 Eldo.  The blade at the end of the belt is too wide to go through the slot in the new cover, so figuring its the other end, that gets wound up, that must go through the cover first then reassembled to the retractor assembly?  I just don't see an obvious way to get that all apart, haven't faced this before, and looking for some guidance before I break something else.  Pics attached....am I right that this has to come apart?  How so?

Thanks!
Perry

Tim Groves (Cadillac Tim)

I believe the latch was stitched on after the plastic cover was slid over the belt.  I've never been able to get a replacement cover on without making a small cut in the opening so the latch can slip through.  Tim

Perry Bush

Thanks, Tim - yep, that occurred to me and was hoping to avoid cutting the nice new cover.   I wondered if the black end cap on the reel might come off somehow allowing the spool to be separated from the belt?  That way, non-latch end of the belt might come through the cover slot?   Anyone ever try this?

Perry Bush
CLC # 24801

The Tassie Devil(le)

Anything is possible, but when removing the cover, take care that the spring doesn't suddenly unwind itself and cause you an injury.

From "playing" with various Seat Belts, there could be a shaft inside the central post that simply slips out to allow the "loop" to come out.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon