News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

LaSalle kingpin bushing clearance

Started by Jim Stamper, June 28, 2011, 01:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stamper

Help
     Does anyone know the recommended kingpin bushing clearance for the 1939 LaSalle?  The same probably for other series too I would imagine. I do not find it in the shop manual. Thanks;   Jim Stamper CLC#13470

phildeville@cox.net

Jim,
You're looking for a "slip fit - NO rock" condition between the pin & bushing.  The bushings are supplied undersize with an allowance for hand reaming.  From my years in the shop, reaming is difficult for even experienced craftsman, so take the parts to an automotive machine shop to press & hone them.

Phil Terry
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

Jim Stamper

Hi Phil;

I did take them to a shop. He didn't know for sure what clearance to use. He thought about .002" does that sound about right?
                                   Jim Stamper CLC#13470

phildeville@cox.net

I'd shoot for .001, but .002 is reasonable.  Should be fairly easy to measure w/ a "Sunnen" benchtop gauge.  More difficult to measure w/ a dialbore due to the lube grooves / holes.

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

Jim Stamper

Thanks Phil;

I have them back already, less than 24 hours. He said they went for about .0015" so it sounds like all is well.

I once made new bronze bushings for my 1914 Chalmers. My reamer's blades aren't long enough so I made a tapered collar to fit over the reamer shank and taper into the bushing, holding the shank straight to the axis. And reversing to do the other bushing. It worked very well, certainly not up to modern standards, but I doubt I was off by much for 1914. Anyway, it worked good, but was extra work and I thought I would try this new shop out. $55 and it was done. Does the $55 sound about right?
                                                                      Jim Stamper CLC#13470

phildeville@cox.net

$55 sounds like a very reasonable price to me too.

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270