News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine id

Started by Odd, November 03, 2011, 05:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odd

Hello
I just purchased a 1956 Coupe de Ville here in Sweden and wanted to investigate Vin number and engine number.
The engine number from the engine block (stamped in front of right hand side cylinder row) read: 581 037917.
I understand that the engine comes from a 1958 model. Digit 3 and 4 should identify the series. 10, what serie is that?????? Looks strange to me.
Can some one assist with a clever answer besides that i might have been taken for a ride.

Thanks
Full time leasure researcher

Glen

Hi Standberg,

The third digit is the model designator and should be a letter not a number.  Could the third digit be an “L”?  If so it is an extended deck DeVille. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Odd

Thanks Glen.
I have now "opened" my eys and studied the number closely. It says: 58F 037917.
Can you enlighten me further or direct me to a page where I can find the particulars of my engine?
Thanks again.
Odd Strandberg

Walter Youshock

The engine you have is a 1958 (same 365 displacement) engine.  I think the "F" was for a series 62.  A 1956 engine would be: 5662###### for a series 62; 5660###### for a 60 Special; 5675###### for a 75; and 5686###### for a commercial chassis.

1958 was the first year they went to the letter designations for the serial/engine/chassis numbers.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Glen

A 58F is from a model 6267X; a convertible coupe. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Odd

Thaks all you guys, much appreciated.
Where can I look up the same information that you seem to have?
Anyone?

Best regds/Odd

Glen

Quote from: Odd on November 06, 2011, 02:36:55 PM
Thaks all you guys, much appreciated.
Where can I look up the same information that you seem to have?
Anyone?

Best regds/Odd

Page 42 of the Cadillac and LaSalle Club Membership Directory; free with membership. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104