News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

40's Cadillac tail light wiring

Started by gary griffin, November 11, 2011, 08:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I am working on pre wiring my buckets to reinstall in my 1942  after painting. To me it looks like the upper bulb is tail light on dimmer for running light and higher element for brake light and the lower bulb uses both elements for turning signal.  Is this correct?

Thanks for taking time to read this and hopefully thanks for a correct answer.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Gary; You are correct except the wiring chart shows the higher element of the lower light is only used for the turn signal.The other element is not used. I used both elements of the lower bulb for the turn signal on my 47. As you will see when you get your car finished one big problem with the 40s Cadillacs on driving, especially during the day, is the poor light put out by the 6 volt bulbs on the brake lights as well as the rear turn signals.I have tried using halogen bulbs in place of the 6 volt 1154s but the halogen bulbs uses to much current for the 16 gage wire used in 40s wiring. Several of the 40s Cads out here in Phoenix have gone to a LED light bar placed in the back widow and tied into the brake lights. I am putting a light bar on my 47 convert as soon as I find a place to attach on a convert.    Bill Ingler 

gary griffin

Thanks for the response. Maybe thats why the wiring harness I bught from Rhode Island Wiring had a extra wire spliced to the first one for the lower bulb.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver