News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Deville Heat Riser Valve

Started by MikeLawson, March 25, 2019, 10:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeLawson

I managed to break my heat riser valve on my 1967 Deville into four pieces while attempting to remove it in order to free it up. After successfully loosening and removing all four exhaust pipe flange nuts without damaging the studs, I thought I was in good shape. Unfortunately, the valve had welded itself in place and I broke it while gently tapping on it with a small hammer to get it off the studs.

I have found there are reproduction heat riser valves available for about $100 but I'd prefer to eliminate this troublesome part. Does anyone know if an appropriate spacer piece is available to install in place of the valve? I've seen spacers made for many other applications but I can't find one for this. 

Thanks in advance for your input and help.

savemy67

Hello Mike,

After my heat riser valve broke, and I found replacements at about the same price as you found, I decided to make my own spacer as in the attached photo.

A small piece of 5/8" thick mild steel, a bi-metal hole saw, a couple of drill bits, a drill press, and a 4 1/2" grinder and cut-off disc are all you need.  If making your own parts is not your favorite thing, you could take a spare gasket to a machine shop and they should be able to fabricate a spacer.  Although, these days every little job seems to cost a fortune which is why I made my spacer.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Cadillac Fleetwood

Try Russ Austin at www.1963Caddyshack.com. He has "blanks" to fit in the space from where the original heat riser was removed.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

MikeLawson

Thanks guys. I was thinking about making my own spacer and already started looking for the right material. I like the hole saw idea a lot but I'm going to contact Russ to get a price on a ready made part.  Just getting at the heat riser is a major pain. My car still had the original crossover pipe and that is getting replaced for sure while everything is apart. 

spolij

Replacing the heat riser with the spacer may be a good idea depending on the climate you live in. If your climate is cold then you want the heat riser to work so that the engine warms up quick. If waiting for the heat to rise doesn't matter to you then fine.